February 24, 2009

In Pursuit Of A Goal



Another Tuesday morning and another tough session of speed work. I am so happy that it is behind me because it was a tough workout but I have found myself starting to get a little bit melancholy in regard to my marathon plan. The race is getting closer and closer now and I am starting to wish that we were back at the beginning of the training plan. I feel ready to finish the race but there are things that I wish I could change about the way I trained this time. DC National will be my 12th marathon and although I would like to PR, I am not sure that I am ready for that this time. Part of this is my own fault because I went into training injured and have been running with a hurt hip and foot for the past three months. Unfortunately I am stubborn and have refused to back off of the hard training and so now I will be racing injured. I keep telling myself that once the taper starts, I will feel better and finally heal but I think I am fooling myself. No matter what happens on race day though, I am definitely looking forward to racing with my sexy man and my two BFFs. I think that DC will be a fun city to run in and who knows, if the weather is nice I may get out there and surprise myself. I remember feeling this way last year right before the Charlottesville Marathon and went on to have one of the best races of my life. I think that all of the goals and dreams and ambition that are a part of running are what keep me coming back for more. I have a quote by Peter Maher hanging over my desk at work that reads, "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?" I ask myself that same question every day and my goal is to always be strong. Some days I definitely feel stronger than others but the goal is always the same. What is your goal?

2 comments: