February 23, 2009

Long Runs and Ice Cream


This Saturday was the last really long run on our marathon training plan before the big day. We had a 24 mile run to finish and I was not looking forward to it at all. On Saturday morning I woke up, made some coffee and flipped on the news to see what the weather was going to be like. Well, instead of a beautiful 60 degree day like I was hoping for, it was 19 degrees and windy. I knew that the conditions were going to make this run seem very long but was anxious to get this whole thing over with. After a quick breakfast and way too much time spent trying to bundle up against the cold we set out on our adventure. Well, I am not going to say that it was easy but we did have a lot of fun and I finished with a feeling that I could have done more. We set out with a group of five and although we all ran different paces and lengths we had a great time talking and laughing and trying to survive. I spent quite a bit of time running with my favorite brother-in-law and was so proud of him for hanging in there until the end. We were chatting about anything and everything to keep ourselves going but even when we were running in silence, it was nice to know he was running next to me...even if he was stomping his big ol' feet! (Just kidding Billy!) When we finally finished it had warmed up quite a bit and was actually a beautiful day for winter running. I am still anxious for summer to get here but it definitely wasn't torture to be outside enjoying the day. We did some quick stretching and then went to refuel at the ultimate refueling station...Whole Foods! I was thinking about what I was going to have for lunch for about the last ten miles of the run and I ended up with exactly what I was craving. I had a small salad from the salad bar and a huge serving of the Soy Delicious Coconut Milk Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. (Sheesh, that's a long name!) I have mentioned before that this is my favorite ice cream of all time but I really think it tastes even better after a long, hard run. People often ask me why I train for marathons and other endurance events and I have to say, it is definitely for the ice cream! No, not really but I have to admit that it is a nice perk! I had an absolutely wonderful Saturday morning and one that I will not soon forget.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for inviting me to run with you guys, I really enjoyed it, hope we can do it again soon, I can't wait to try your protein bars, your right about the Soy Delicious Coconut Milk Mint Chocolate Chip icecream..Its awesome...thanks again!....love the monkey pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great having you out there on the run Crystal. You are doing great on your running plan. Keep it up and I know that you will have an amazing Monument 10K.

    ReplyDelete