February 3, 2009

Speedwork, Snow and Salad

I feel like I have been training for something non stop for the past four years. I feel this way because it is true but really, that is my own fault. There are just too many fun races out there and not enough time to train for all of them. I was thinking about the last time I allowed my body to have a rest from training and I think it was right after Florida Ironman. I took about two weeks off to recover and it was so nice. Of course I did run a marathon and race a 10K in those two weeks so I am not sure that it really counts. : ) Anyway, the reason I say all of that is because for the past four years, I have done speedwork every Tuesday morning and today was no different. I always have to be up extra early on Tuesdays so that I can fit the entire workout in because it is a long one. This morning was a 15 mile session of 1600s, 1000s and 800s with a nice little warm up and cool down. It was tough but overall I felt strong and feel like I could have kept running which is always a good sign. I had a bit of sports drink during the run and then ate a banana immediately after the run while I was stretching. I absolutely love stretching on the floor after a long run and gossiping with my sister. It is a great way to forget about the tightness in my hamstrings and how worn out I already feel at 7:00 am.

When I woke up this morning it was a beautiful snow covered winter wonderland outside. I love snow! It was a little bit nasty trying to get to the gym and then work with all of the mess on the roads but I am not going to complain because it is better than ice any day. The really crazy thing is that it is not even lunchtime and all of the snow is gone now and it is a bright beautiful sunny day. Crazy weather! I blame it all on the Groundhog!

I am really excited about my lunch today because I have leftover taco salad from last night. I think taco salad is one of my absolute favorite meals. I wish I had some pictures to post of how awesome this taco salad is but I have been very lazy and have not started posting pictures yet. Be patient with me though because I promise that they are coming soon. My salad consists of baked tortilla chips, Fantastic Foods vegetarian taco mix, a little bit of mozzarella cheese, lots of lettuce, tomato, avocado and tons of salsa. The only thing missing is sour cream but I completely forgot to pick it up at the grocery store. Oh well, maybe next time. I think all of this posting about lunch has made me extra hungry because I am absolutely starving now. My stomach keeps grumbling very loudly. I think I am going to go take care of that!

2 comments:

  1. taco salad rocks good recipe & dag that ground hog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you as a strong,confident,beautiful young lady it is hard to believe you had so many doubts about yourself as a teenager.I am glad to see you are now running towards your goals instead of running away from your fears. Keep up the work ,I can't wait to see you running your own bakery.

    ReplyDelete