February 18, 2009

Tofu Lettuce Wraps


I am aware that these pictures make it look like someone barfed in my salad but this was honestly a wonderful dinner. I came up with this recipe on a whim because I ran into a few issues while attempting to make what we had planned to have for dinner. I knew that we had quite a bit of romaine in the fridge that needed to be used up and I also had half a block of tofu in the freezer. We went to dinner at PF Chang's a couple of weeks ago with some friends and the hubby had been talking about their lettuce wraps ever since then. Apparently he is quite the fan!
Anyway, here is my attempt to recreate the recipe:
I sauteed some chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until tender and then added a ton of different spices. I used a Cajun Creole seasoning, pepper, Braggs and nutmeg. It was a weird combination but it all went together well. Then I crumbled my tofu (I used the extra firm Twin Oaks tofu because it is my favorite) in the pan and mixed it all together. I let the tofu get a little bit warm and then I added about a tsp of agave and maybe two Tbs of BBQ sauce. I let all of this heat in the pan for about five minutes while I made some veggies and set the table. Then dinner was served. We ate the tofu mixture with leaves of fresh crisp romaine lettuce and it was absolutely delicious.
I am sure that when I attempt this recipe again it will change quite a bit but the hubby and I were both extremely happy with the way this turned out. I just wish that it looked a little bit prettier for the pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a certain brand or flavor of BBQ sauce that is good ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Organic Valley BBQ sauce. It is sweetened with agave and is absolutely delicious. I definitely recommend it.

    ReplyDelete