March 24, 2009

Where Do I Start?


I don't even know where to begin in regard to catching you guys up on the last few days. I had an amazing birthday weekend in D.C. even though the race didn't turn out the way I had hoped. I am getting ahead of myself though. Lets start at the beginning...


Friday - Happy Birthday to me! I woke up and did a nice easy workout. I went for a walk and did some yoga and just tried to stay loose. I always have such a hard time with relaxing and so it took a lot of effort to not workout this morning. I spent the rest of the day traveling to D.C., going to the race expo, hanging out at the hotel and trying to prepare for the marathon. I didn't plan very well and ended up not eating or drinking very much. I was a little bit distracted with trying to figure out the metro route and stuff. I did manage to have a decent dinner at Whole Foods that evening of a veggie burger and some roasted potatoes. It was a little bit bland but I wanted to eat something that I knew my stomach could handle. After dinner, we all put on our fancy hotel robes and relaxed while watching The Spirit Of The Marathon. I ate a ton of grapes and tried to catch up on all of the water I forgot to drink today. I am such a person of routine and traveling today completely threw my routine out the window. Overall though, I had a wonderful and relaxing birthday. My sexy man made it such a wonderful day. Not to mention the fact that Mel and Billy spoiled me rotten. Seriously, if I turn into a spoiled brat then it is all their fault!


Saturday - Today was race day! This is what we had been training for since December. We woke up at 4:30, ate a quick breakfast and were on the metro headed to the race by 5:30. It was absolutely freezing outside and for some reason I just didn't feel like running. Anyone who knows me, knows that this is completely out of character for me because I ALWAYS feel like running. I just felt off and wanted to crawl back into bed and sleep. We lined up in our corral and waited for the race to start and then we were off. In every other marathon I have ever run, there has always been a point where I get into a groove and just enjoy the miles but I never felt right this entire race. I didn't enjoy even one step of this race and it was all because my body just didn't feel like running. I was very disappointed in myself but there wasn't anything I could do. I had four asthma attacks over the course of the race and had to stop five times to massage cramps out of my legs. It was really just not my day. I need to listen to my body now and let it rest and repair. I have been pushing myself too hard and ignoring pain for too long. It is time to treat my body with the respect it deserves. Mel, Billy and my sexy man all did an amazing job and I am so proud of them. They all came into this race with injuries and issues but they overcame them and were able to finish with smiles on their faces. It was wonderful to see all of them at the finish line. We spent the rest of the day napping, eating and walking around the city trying to loosen up our legs. We walked for about 4 miles but they were very, very slow miles. We all were absolutely exhausted and went to bed shortly after dinner. We are such party animals aren't we!?



Sunday - I woke up after about 12 hours of wonderful sleep and went to grab some coffee with the hubby. We were both a little bit stiff but overall I felt great. We spent the day hanging out at the zoo and walking around D.C. We also ate a lot of food and sat in traffic on 95 for way too long. I always hate the first couple of hours when we get home from a trip because there is so much unpacking and laundry and stuff to do. The hubby and I were able to get it finished pretty quickly but it was still a late night for us. We ended the evening with some Desperate Housewives and big bowls of quinoa and vegetables.



Monday - I took the day off from work on Monday to catch up on chores and run errands. The hubby and I had a bunch of things to take care of and it was a busy day. I wish I could tell you that we did something fun or were able to relax but it was really just lots of work. I did manage to make it to the grocery store and stock up on some food so that was cool. I went to Trader Joe's and bought a lot of the basics and I was able to save quite a bit of money. I normally do all of our shopping at Whole Foods because I am lazy and don't feel like going to a lot of different grocery stores but I was shocked at how much money I was able to save. I may have to get over my laziness and throw in an extra stop at Trader Joe's. The hubby and I made delicious pitas stuffed with salmon and BBQ sauce for dinner. I know it sounds like a weird combo but it was absolutely delicious. I didn't take any pictures of any of my food because the truth of the matter is that I haven't eaten a whole lot the last few days. My appetite is just not there and I have been too busy to make myself sit down and eat. I am hoping that once I head back to work and get back to my routine I will be able to get back on a normal eating schedule.


Tuesday & Wednesday - We are just going to call these days a wash because honestly work has been ridiculously busy and I have had absolutely no time to blog or take pictures or really do much of anything. I am planning on starting fresh tomorrow. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I will be back soon!

1 comment:

  1. You did great I am so proud of you & you should tri to rest a lil.GOOD luck @ the
    ukrops 10k I wish you & your hubby luck!! smiles

    ReplyDelete