April 14, 2009

Back In Business

Alright, I am not even going to try and catch you guys up on everything that has been going on. To be honest, life has been a whirlwind lately and I probably would leave a million things out if I tried to recap it all. Life has been good though and I have been having fun...as usual!

My doctor's appointment last week went really well. I do not have any stress fractures or major injuries which is awesome. I do have a lot of overuse injuries and some abnormalities that need to be corrected asap. I have started with some pretty intense physical therapy and despite a huge hit to my bank account, I am feeling pretty optimistic about the results. Why is health care so freakin expensive anyway!?! That is a tangent that I should not even get started on. Moving on...

The hubby and I have been talking about cutting our food budget because we spend a fortune on groceries. We have been working on ways to budget and yet still eat healthy and interesting meals. We spent some time looking over our grocery receipts and honestly the main thing we spend a fortune on is produce. We both eat at least 10 - 12 servings of fruits and vegetables every day and that really adds up. We recently found some information for Dominion Harvest, which is a produce delivery service that will deliver fresh, local, organic produce to your door every week for a quite reasonable price. We would save quite a bit of money by joining because the price is much cheaper than buying it at the grocery store. The only draw back to the program is that you are given whatever is in season at the time and not necessarily what is on your grocery list. I think that could be good for us though because it would force us to be creative with the fruits and veggies we have on hand instead of always eating our favorites out of habit. Has anyone ever tried a service like this? If so, I would love to hear your opinion and any pros/cons.

Last night for dinner, I made a great recipe that my favorite recipe club member gave to me. It was a recipe for Quinoa Grapefruit Salad and it was absolutely amazing. The combination of ingredients was so fresh and bold. I changed the recipe quite a bit in order to use what we had on hand but I think the main idea of the recipe is still in tact.


The combination was:
-romaine lettuce
-quinoa
-pink grapefruit segments
-red onion
-sunflower seeds
-raisins
-feta cheese

The dressing was:
-grapefruit juice
-salt and pepper
-olive oil
-white wine vinegar

I think this salad would be even better with some beets and cucumber but overall it was a great refreshing meal and one I would try again.

Workouts have been great lately and I am starting to feel like my old self again. I am planning on taking it easy for another week or so and then I will start back to my regular training schedule. I better enjoy the break while I can because I know I will be wishing for a break once the tough speed work and tempo stuff start up again.

That's all I have for now...later bloggies!

1 comment:

  1. the best salad ever the aroma was to die 4

    ReplyDelete