April 7, 2009

Switching It Up


I have been forced to cut back on running recently due to a self imposed running break and it has forced me to think outside the box in regard to working out. I know that my body needs time to rest and recover from all of the stress I have put on it in the last year. From January 2008 to March 2009, I took one full day off from working out and that was only because my legs would not work properly. It was the day after the Charlottesville Marathon and those mountains trashed my legs to the point where I could barely walk. I didn't even take a day off after Ironman because I felt like going for a jog to loosen up my legs. It was a great run but looking back on it, I probably should have allowed my body to rest. I know it sounds like I am an exercise addict and maybe I am but I really love the way my body feels when I am active. Anyway, over the last couple of weeks I have been really trying to listen to my body and give it the rest it is asking for. In the past two weeks I have been to multiple spin classes, done TONS of yoga, swam, rode my bike, increased my strength training, done plyometrics and worked my core until it hurt to breathe. I have also spent a lot of time on the elliptical and step mill but I hate both of those activities and would rather not think about them. So, why am I telling you all this? Well, I wanted to tell you about the amazing weight workout I had with a personal trainer yesterday. I am a very lucky woman to be married to the BEST personal trainer in the world. Unfortunately, I could count on one hand the amount of times we have actually done a strength training workout together. We always bike, run, swim and do yoga together but when it comes to weights he does his thing and I do mine. The other morning, we were able to coordinate our schedules to make time to work out together and I can honestly say that he wore me out. ( I think I wore him out too but shh...I don't think he wants me to tell you that!) I definitely understand why his clients love to work out with him so much. We worked on our upper bodies and really focused on our lats and triceps. I was doing great until we started doing pull ups and then it was all over. I normally do quite a few assisted pull ups but my sexy man considers that cheating, so it was balls to the wall pull ups for me. Whew! I can still feel the burn in my arms! It was a wonderful workout and a great way to spend time with my hubby. I think the theme of the rest of this race season is going to be learning to train outside of my comfort zone and whether that means pushing harder or taking a rest I am ready to go for it.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on your workout! You are amazing & the sky is the limit when it comes to your ability. i am proud of you, your tr8ner hubby

    ReplyDelete