May 6, 2009

Healthy Junk Food

I have the privilege (or curse) of being married to a man who absolutely loves junk food and has a mean sweet tooth. I have seen him devour entire cartons of ice cream and not even blink an eye. When we first started dating he literally only ate four foods; hot wings, Trix, Swiss cheese and ice cream. All of these fabulous foods were washed down with a steady stream of Mt. Dew. Needless to say, we didn't eat very many meals together. Over the next few years, my sexy man slowly started to change the way he ate without any prodding from me. Although he still eats a few things that I would never go near, the majority of his meals are healthy whole foods. With that being said, I have made an effort to try and recreate some of his favorite junk foods with healthier ingredients. Although I do not consider most of these foods optimal nutrition, they are fun to have once in awhile. One of these healthy junk food creations are called Corny Tofu Pups and are my version of a healthy corn dog. They are very tasty and easy to make. I love to have mine with spicy mustard! Yummy!



Corny Tofu Pups

4 veggie hot dogs (I use Tofu Pups)

1/3 cup corn meal

1/3 cup whole wheat flour

1 Tbs. honey

1 Tbs. canola oil

1 tsp. baking powder

1/3 cup water (plus a tiny bit more if dough seems dry)



Set veggie dogs aside and then combine all other ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix until a dough ball forms and then place dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough and cut into four equal squares. Roll 1 veggie dog in each square of dough and seal edges. Place the wrapped veggie dog on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining veggie dogs and dough. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment