May 28, 2009

Hot and Humid and Wonderful

Good morning! I am feeling particularly cheerful this morning because not only did Starbucks have my favorite coffee on tap (Cafe Verona) but I also had a wonderful run with Mel. I needed a good run with my favorite gossip buddy because I have had a lot on my mind this week. Most of the time I am the type of runner who zones everyone and everything else out and I enjoy my alone time while I run but Mel has definitely changed all of that. We run together once or twice a week and it is always so much fun. She challenges me to push myself when I don't feel like it and most importantly, we have the opportunity to chat and gossip about all of the "important" things. Anyway, we ran about six miles together and were so sweaty and gross by the end of the run. It is so hot and humid in Virginia right now....and I love it! I am so thankful to be running in shorts and tank tops again instead of running pants, sweatshirts and gloves. I am all about the hot weather and wish that it would stay this way forever. All of you cold weather lovers out there are just crazy! I love you but you're crazy!
Before I met Mel this morning, I was able to squeeze in a quick hill workout. I did just over three miles of hill repeats at a pretty decent pace and after a quick stretch, I went to the weight room to do a quick back, lats and biceps workout. The weight room was not too crowded this morning which was great. I always feel intimidated when I walk into the weight room and it is filled with tons of loud, huge guys. Sometimes it is embarrassing to see them curling 65 and 70 pounds with no problem while I struggle with 25 pounds. They probably are not even paying any attention to me but in my mind I always imagine that they want to give me a wedgie and kick me out of the weight room. (Yes, I do have a very active imagination!) I try to remind myself that I can outrun all of them though and that seems to help. After, I finished running and playing in the weight room, I was able to enjoy a long, glorious stretch. It felt wonderful to stretch my muscles out and reward them for all of their hard work this morning. I am supposed to go to yoga tonight and I am really looking forward to stretching a bit more. I am crossing my fingers that we do a lot of hip openers and spend some quality time in corpse pose!
Last night, I was absolutely exhausted after a long day at work. I know this is a short work week but it feels like I am just trying to fit five days of work into four days. Yep, it sucks! I decided on a simple dinner of Make Your Own Hummus Wraps. The hubby and I mixed up a fresh batch of hummus, cut up a few veggies, steamed some broccoli, microwaved a couple of whole wheat tortillas and then dinner was served.

It was such a wonderful, fresh and filling dinner. My wrap was filled with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, garlic hummus and BBQ sauce. The only thing missing was a bit of fresh avocado but we were completely out. I need to remember to stock up on those this week when I go grocery shopping. About an hour after dinner we had a delicious strawberry protein shake that tasted just like a milkshake. I didn't take any pictures of it but it was a combination of fresh strawberries, banana, soy milk, ice and Jay Robb Strawberry Whey Protein. It was so creamy and delicious! Mmm, mmm, mmm! Shout out to my old pal Jay Robb!
In other news, I was featured in a guest post over at Kath Eats Real Food yesterday. Make sure you check out my post and the adorable picture of my precious hubby.

Have a wonderful and fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment