May 18, 2009

It Was A Challenge!!

What a fun weekend of racing! I had an absolute blast at both races and did better than I was expecting which is always cool. Lets start with Saturday...

Saturday morning was hot and humid. I could tell it was going to be a tough race from the beginning because I was sweaty from the moment I started warming up. The James River Scramble is one of my favorite races of the year and I was determined to get out there and have fun. After a quick warm up, I joined the other runners in the corral and we were off. I had a really hard time getting my pace right in the first mile but my legs eventually loosened up a bit and I was able to set my pace. It was so hot and sticky out there but I was too distracted by the trails and the infamous "Mayan Ruins" to think about how hot I was. One of the best things about this race is that a good portion of it is on shaded trails. It feels so wonderful to come into the shade after feeling the sun beat down on you for a couple of miles. There was a slight change to the course this year. Due to all of the rain we have received over the past few weeks, the river was just too high to cross so instead of jumping across the rocks, we ran across and old rickety wooden bridge and ended up back on the regular course. We did get to cross a small dam that was completely submerged in the river and jumping into the water was a great way to cool off in the middle of the race. Of course, running with sloshy wet shoes sort of sucked but at least I wore a pair of old shoes. I finished the race about a minute slower than last year which I am going to blame on a combination of the course change and the fact that I have been trying to get over this stupid hip injury for way too long now. I haven't been training as hard and I can tell. Overall though, I was proud of my time and had SO much fun. I am also really proud of Mel, Billy and James. They all finished the race with great times and crossed the finish line with smiles on their faces.


After the race, I had a quick lunch with my sexy man and then we went to Roadrunner's in Carytown to pick up our race packets for Sunday. We had a great time walking around Carytown and enjoying the beautiful day. When I finally got home, I took a long nap and tried to catch up on some of the sleep I lost over the past week. It was absolutely wonderful to nap the afternoon away. I highly recommend it! After a quick dinner of pizza and salad, I set my alarm for bright and early and crawled into bed.

Sunday morning was a cold and rainy mess. I woke up to the sound of pouring rain and instantly knew that this race was going to be very different from Saturday's race. The Carytown 10K has never been one of my favorite races. I keep running it every year in the hope that it will grow on me but I just don't enjoy it like I do some of the other races in Richmond. I was determined to get out there and give it my best shot though. After a quick breakfast, (english muffin with strawberry jelly in case you were wondering) I drove down to the race site and started to warm up. I ran up and down Cary Street for about thirty minutes because it was a little bit chilly outside and I was trying to stay warm. My legs finally started to loosen up a little bit after about twenty minutes and then it was time to line up at the starting line. My fabulous sister found me in the crowd and gave me a quick hug and then we were off. Just like Saturday, I had a hard time finding my pace and really struggled with getting settled in the first mile. My goal was to run the first 5K at a moderate pace and then pick it up a little bit on the second 5K. Well, I did run a negative split but it just wasn't as fast as I had been hoping for. I still did pretty well and I actually had a great time running in the rain. It was nice to feel the cool rain on my face and hop over the puddles in the road. When I crossed the finish line, I was handed my James River Challenge medal and then my sexy man found me in the crowd and gave me a huge hug. I was pleasantly surprised to see my awesome sister cross the finish line just a few minutes behind me. I better watch out because she will be running past me very soon. I think it is those sexy young legs of hers! Oh, to be 23 again!

After the race, we had a celebration breakfast with the Matheny's and then went home to grab our swim suits. We spent the afternoon at the pool getting in a few laps and hanging out in the hot tub. It was a great way to spend the afternoon and my legs really enjoyed relaxing in the pool. It was nice to shake them out a bit after two hard days of running. While I was at the pool I was able to try out a couple of new products. The first new product was a cool pair of pink goggles that the awesome people at Blue Seventy sent to me.
I absolutely love the color and the feel of the goggles but I have to admit that I had a very hard time getting them to stay on my face. I may need to play around with them a bit more and work on readjusting them. I was able to swim a few laps with the goggles but then they started to let water in the sides and wouldn't hold their suction. I eventually gave up on them and switched back to my old goggles but I am planning on trying them out a bit more over the next few weeks. Hopefully I can figure out a way to make them work for me because they are just too adorable.
If you want to check out the Blue Seventy goggles and other swim products you can find them here http://www.blueseventy.com/.



The other new product that I was able to try was the TRI Swim line of bath products. According to their website,


"the ingredients in TRISWIM 'shots' work to neutralize Chlorine and Chlorine odor on your skin and in your hair. TRISWIM has up to 5 sequestering agents which assist in containing the chlorine, grabbing a hold of it, and washing the chemical down the drain. Not only does TRISWIM detoxify, but with our innovative formula, it also hydrates and nourishes with ingredients such as Organic Aloe Vera, Vitamin A and E, and ProVitamin B5. TRISWIM will leave your skin moisturized and smooth, and your hair, clean, shiny, healthy and soft. You’ll feel relaxed, restored and refreshed after using TRISWIM. "


I was very excited to try out this line of products because my sweet hubby is always complaining about the chlorine smell in my hair and on my skin. I have tried everything to get rid of it but it seems to linger no matter what I do. Well, I am happy to say that these products work exactly the way they promise to, My hair and skin felt so soft and smooth after using them and I didn't smell like chlorine at all. My sister was able to try the products with me and she was very impressed by them as well. We both loved the fresh citrus smell and the little 2oz. bottles are perfect for stashing in your gym bag. I definitely recommend this line of products. You can check them out at http://www.tri-swim.com/index.htm.

Alright, this post is getting really long so I am going to give you a break from all of the excitement! Ha ha! See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment