May 21, 2009

Push The Tempo!


Tempo running was definitely the theme of this morning. I woke up this morning feeling like I had been run over by a truck but I knew that I needed to get moving. Before I could talk myself out of it, I was up and out the door. When I got to the gym I hopped on the treadmill and did a quick three mile tempo run. I finished the run pretty quickly, so I went to the weight room and did a quick round of upper body weights. At about 5:30, Mel and I met up and did a few quick stretches and then we were off. We did just under seven miles of tempo running in the neighborhood next to the gym and we had a blast. We were both covered in sweat and panting for air but we ran very strong. It was so much fun! I am a strong believer that tempo running is what makes us faster runners. I am all about speed work but honestly, if you skip out on tempo running then you are selling yourself short. Tempo running teaches your body to deal with sustained pain and to maintain your pace when it would be much easier to slow down or quit altogether. If you are looking to get faster, tempo running is the way to go. The Runners World website has more information on tempo running so if you are interested you can check it out over there. They have a bunch of other cool stuff on their site as well. It is a good place to kill some time.




I have been meaning to tell you guys about the Pure Fit bars I tried the other day. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the bars because someone(ahem...my hubby)deleted them off of the camera. The bars are all long gone now so just imagine a protein bar in a white wrapper and the words Pure Fit. Robb over at Pure Fit sent me a sample package of the bars and they were absolutely amazing! I received four of the bars and I enlisted my sexy man and a couple of friends to help with the taste testing. Pure Fit bars contain NO dairy, wheat, gluten, artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils or trans fat and it was recently named "Nutrition Bar of the year" by Bike magazine. The texture of the Pure Fit bars are very similar to a Jay Robb protein bar and the taste is excellent. Let me share with you what one of my review helpers thought.


"I tried the berry Almond Crunch Pure Fit bar. Now, I am not normally a berry bar head but as I kept on chewing, the taste surpassed my preconceived thoughts. This bar leaves a nice berry taste in your mouth even after you swallow...the berry flavor lingers. I love that this bar has 18 grams of protein and it is very filling and satisfying."

My other reviewers were just as impressed with these bars and gave it rave reviews. They all asked where they could pick up more of these bars. I have seen these bars at various grocery stores in my area and they also sell them at my gym. I am sure if you look around your local natural foods store you will find them. However, the Pure Fit bars are also available online at http://www.purefit.com/. Check them out because they are delicious!

I have a few new projects that I am working on and a couple of great recipes to share with you guys but they are going to have to wait for another day. My sexy man is having minor surgery and so I will be focusing on taking care of him for the next few days. I am planning to blog when I have the chance but it may be a bit sporadic. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend. Do something fun because you only get one shot at Memorial Day 2009! Make it memorable! Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment