May 27, 2009

Really...It's Wednesday Already!?

I am just so happy that it is already hump day! Woo hoo! We will be back to enjoying the weekend before we know it!

It feels like I spent most of yesterday trying to get back to a normal schedule. Between work, running errands, a couple of tough workouts and all of the other daily stuff that makes up life, I was just simply exhausted by the time I got home from work. I decided to try and use up a few things that we had on hand for dinner and what we ended up with has been named Sweet Potato Hash. It was pretty good but it definitely doesn't look appetizing. To prove that point, I took lots of pictures to share with you guys. To make this delectable Sweet Potato Hash, I put a sweet potato into the microwave for about four minutes. When it was finished, I cut it up into small pieces and put the sweet potato into a large pan with about a Tbs of olive oil.

I topped the sweet potatoes with a bunch of different spices including cinnamon, garlic, nutmeg, black pepper, Cajun seasoning and sea salt. It was a weird combination but somehow they all seemed to work together well. After the sweet potatoes began to get crispy and brown, I crumbled half a block of Willow Oaks extra firm tofu into the pan. Willow Oaks tofu is my favorite kind of tofu and really, the only one I ever buy.

I mixed the tofu and sweet potatoes together and then I opened up a can of black beans. After I rinsed the beans, I poured them in to the pan and topped the whole mess with about 1/4 cup of Organicville BBQ Sauce.

I mixed all of the ingredients together and then left it on medium heat for about 10 minutes. It really does look like a big mess of crap but it was quite tasty.

You could easily change the spices or add additional veggies to suit your taste buds. It was a good way to use up some of the ingredients in our fridge and I had fun taking gross pictures for you so all in all, it was a success. We had our Sweet Potato Hash with some steamed brussel sprouts and i t was a delicious and filling dinner.

We also had HUGE bowls of watermelon for dessert but I completely forgot to take a picture in all of the excitement!

I have had a fabulous time working out with Mel and Billy over the past few days while my number one training partner (the hubby) has been under the weather.
We did quite a few tough workouts together and they really made me push myself. We had a great time at the track doing a pretty intense speed workout. Whew! Those two are super fast! I was running as hard as I possibly could to finish each interval and we were all gasping for air at the end. We had a chance to try out a few new products while we were working out. The amazing people over at Luna sent me a few of their products to try and so we put them to the test on a very hot and humid morning. I am not sure that any product could have made the speed work easier but the electrolyte drink and Luna Energy Chews definitely helped. Luna chews are little gummy fruit chews that also contain electrolytes and simple sugars. They are very similar to Clif Shot Blocks but they are smaller and easier to eat on the run. I know quite a few runners who use these on a regular basis and simply love them. If you are not into energy gels, then these are definitely the way to go. As far as the electrolyte drink goes, as you know, I have been sampling quite a few different drinks recently and this is another good one. The flavor is sweet but not sickly sweet and they definitely help to replace all of the electrolytes you lose in a tough sweaty workout. The drink comes in two flavors, pink grapefruit and lime ade, which is a nice change from the typical orange, lemon lime and berry that seem to be prevalent in sports drinks. I feel like I should also mention that although Luna is geared towards women, I know quite a few guys who prefer the taste, size and convenience of the Luna Sports products. I am not mentioning any names but I thought that I should throw that out there. Ha ha!

I went to a pretty great Boot Camp class and had a fun and challenging workout there. It is always cool to mix up my workout a bit, although my legs were not very happy with all of the squats and lunges we had to do. Not to mention the suicides...oh...the suicides! Ugh! I was pretty proud of Mel and I though because we managed to beat the guys during the push up portion of the class. We have both really been working on our push ups and planks and I guess it is starting to pay off. Oh yeah!
I hope all of you guys are enjoying this short work week and the start of a great summer. I just love being able to wear sandals and sun dresses and eat watermelon and lay by the pool and plan vacations and all of the other fun summer stuff. It is going to be a fun couple of months! Be back to chat again soon!

3 comments:

  1. This is the first time I've been to your blog, thanks to the guest posting on Kath Eats' blog. I tried your Sweet Potato Hash recipe (I mixed it with brown rice)and it was amazing! I'm keeping it on hand for future use. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe. I am sure it was very good with rice. I will have to keep that in mind for next time.

    ReplyDelete