May 4, 2009

Vega Delicious


As I mentioned last week, I received a great package of Vega products from the nice people over at Sequel Health. When I first heard about these products I was instantly curious about them due to their endorsement by Brendan Brazier. Brendan is an Ironman triathlete who wrote a book called The Thrive Diet, which is all about how to fuel your body with healthy whole foods. As an Ironman triathlete myself, I was so curious about the products he endorsed because nutrition is a HUGE part of training for an Ironman race. During training last year, I remember sitting down with my coach at one point and listening to him talk about how nutrition is the fourth sport of triathlon. I found this to be true when I was struggling to keep food down during the last few miles of the race and wished with all of my heart that I had paid better attention to the nutrition aspect of my training. As I get ready to train for my next Ironman, I am still running and biking and swimming but my focus is definitely going to be on nutrition this time. Anyway, when I heard about these products I knew that I needed to try them. In my package I received three Whole Food Energy Bars, four Whole Food health Optimizer shakes and one Whole Food Smoothie Infusion plus a very cool water bottle, a recipe booklet and tons of information about Vega. I split the goods between myself and a couple of friends and we all came to the same conclusion. Vega is absolutely amazing nutritionally and I can feel the difference it makes in my energy levels but it definitely has a taste that you have to get used to. The bars were very "green" tasting but good in an earthy sort of way. The berry flavored bar was the best by far. As far as the shakes go, there is a definite brown rice after taste but the texture and nutritional stats are excellent. The recipe booklet that I received had some wonderful smoothie recipes in it and made the shakes taste much better. I think the trick to these protein shakes is to make sure you add some fresh fruit, nut butter and some other type of flavoring to help disguise the rice taste. Overall, these are amazing products and I love the burst of energy that they give you. Vega products meet 100% of the RDA for vitamins and minerals, meet 60% of your daily fiber needs, ensure healthy thyroid and hormonal function, enhance digestion, preserve cardiovascular health, support the immune system, maintain muscle function and improve the metabolism among many other things. I felt great after consuming each one and would definitely buy these. I am curious to try the Whole Food Vibrance Bars that they offer but I have yet to find them in my area. I may just have to order a few online. Check this company out at myvega.com. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment