May 20, 2009

Whiny Wednesday

I have to be honest and tell you that I really feel like whining today! I think I am just tired but man I feel like I have a lot to complain about. So, here is the rule for today's blog: Every time I whine or complain about something, I have to list two things I am thankful for. it sounds fair enough to me!
My first whine is that I have poison ivy and that really sucks. I hate poison ivy because I am very allergic to it and it is just miserable. I usually get it at least one time a year and I am hoping that this will be my one time and I will be done with it. I must have brushed up against some poison ivy during the trail race last Saturday. Sigh! At least the race was fun!


Alright, so my two thankful things are going to be:
1.) A great easy run this morning that really loosened up my legs.
2.) The delicious Pike Place coffee that I am sipping on as I type this.

The next thing that I would like to whine about is sort of personal in nature and not really something that I want to blab about on the blog. It has to do with my very dysfunctional family and it is making me sort of sad today. I really wish that I knew how to change the situation but all of my efforts so far have been in vain. Maybe I should pay a visit to Dr. Phil and see what he recommends!

My next two thankful things are:
1.) The wonderfully challenging yoga class that I went to this morning.
2.) The ability to keep smiling when my heart feels sad.

I actually have a few more thankful things in no particular order:
-The great fruit salad I had for breakfast.
-A husband who will willingly sit on the couch and talk to me for hours and hours.
-The space heater in my freezing cold office.
-A clean bill of health.
-The cutest open toe stilettos with bonus points because they don't hurt my feet AT ALL!
-All of the adventures I have to look forward to this year!

Okay, now back to regular blogging. Thank you for letting me get all of that off of my chest. I think sometimes it really helps for me to allow myself to just let my frustrations out and admit that I am pissed off about something. I have found though, that when I balance out my whining with a reminder of the good things I have going on in my life, I feel much much better.

I did have a really great workout this morning. I started with an easy five mile run just to loosen up my legs a little bit. After the run, I did a quick core workout, some stretching and 50 quick push ups. I also went to a really hard yoga class this morning. I am not sure what the teacher was thinking but for a 6:00 am class, it was super tough. I am not very flexible in the morning and I was having a tough time holding some of the binds. It was fun to be challenged though and I am very happy that I went. My body feels fabulous!

On the food front, I have the second edition to my Healthy Junk Food series. My sexy man and I both grew up eating fried okra. In fact, I was well into adulthood before I realized that you could eat okra without frying it. I really love okra as a vegetable but I have been wanting to figure out a way to make a healthier version of the fried stuff. I had seen a few recipes on other blogs of a breaded and baked okra so I decided to give that idea a try with a few twists of my own.


First I defrosted a bag of frozen sliced okra while preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then, in a mixing bowl, I combined about a cup of corn bread mix, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, a squirt of agave and about a tbs of Cajun seasoning. I mixed all of this together until it formed a thin batter and then set it to the side. I put about 1/2 a cup of flour in a small bowl and mixed the okra into the flour. Once the okra had a light dusting of flour, I shook off the excess flour and transferred the okra into my corn bread batter. I mixed the okra into the batter until it was coated on each side and then placed it on a lightly oiled baking sheet. This was sort of messy but kind of fun at the same time. My hands were absolutely coated in the batter. Once all of the okra was on the baking sheet, I sprayed the entire pan with a few sprays of olive oil to help it crisp up in the oven. The okra baked for about 20 minutes and I did flip it once after about 12 minutes or so. Just before serving, I put the okra under the broiler for about five minutes to give it a little more crispiness and it turned out perfectly. You should have seen my sexy man inhale this stuff. I have never seen him eat a vegetable so quickly.
This is definitely a recipe that you will have to play around with to see what works for you because it was completely an experiment. I will have to pay more attention next time I make it so that I can produce a complete and more concise recipe.

Look at how long winded I have become! Sheesh! Thanks for listening to me whine, I am thankful for you! Be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment