June 23, 2009

A Few Good Eats

My eating has been on a weird schedule over the last couple of days because life has become insanely busy. I am having a blast and doing fun stuff but this schedule is definitely going to take some getting used to. Race season is in full gear right now and we are reaching the point in training where "two-a-days" become necessary and rest days are really a code word for an easy 5 miles or a quick 2000 meter swim. I love the long summer days and the great shorts tan that I am sporting but it is very easy to forget how much time and effort all of the training takes. I have been less than creative in the kitchen lately but I have been eating some good stuff. here are just a few examples.


My favorite Odwalla Super Protein bar. I love these bars and could literally eat them every day. These are my go to food when I don't feel like packing a breakfast or a lunch. I do have to mention that I am not very happy with the Odwalla people because recently they totally shrunk the size of the bar but I am still addicted to the fabulousness of this little sucker.



I have tons of little baggies of veggies in my fridge that are cut and ready to go in my lunch. I usually spend part of my Sunday evening prepping veggies and stuff for the week. It definitely makes packing my lunch much easier. These veggies are extra special because the cucumbers are fresh from the Matheny's garden and they are SO delicious!



Over the weekend I had a hankering for something with pumpkin in it so I whipped up a batch of Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars. These bars are super easy and very delicious. They are supposed to be made with sweet potatoes but I love pumpkin and so that has become my go to substitute in this recipe. Keep scrolling down for the recipe.











Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars
Crust:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. oats
1 c. chopped walnuts
2/3 c. agave
1/4 c. coconut
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. canola oil
Filling:
1 1/2 c. pumpkin
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of the crust ingrediets in a large bowl and mix well until a crumbly dough has formed. Lightly spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and press half of the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan. Reserve the remaing crust mixture for later.
In another mixing bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients and mix until combined. Spread the filling mixture on top of the crust.
Crumble the remaining crust mixture on top of the pumpkin filling. (This is totally optional but you can sprinkle about 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top along with the crust mixture for a more decadent treat.)
Bake for about 20 minutes or until crust has become lightly brown and crisp. Allow the bars to cool and then cut and serve.
You guys should definitely try these out because even though it isn't really pumpkin season, these bars are a great treat. H and I ate them up so fast!

I have also been making a lot of super fast and easy meals. Last night we had macaroni and cheese with peas. I love quick and easy meals like this.


To get some green stuff in my life, I made a batch of kale chips. This was my first attempt at making the infamous kale chips and I think I may have left them in the oven just a minute or so too long. They were still very good though. I actually only had three small chips because H scarfed up the rest of the pan. he absolutely loved them. I am pretty sure these will be on regular rotation at our house for the next few weeks.




All of this great food is keeping me fueled and happy and going strong. Now if I could only figure out a way to fit more hours into then I would be all set.
Have a great day guys!!

3 comments:

  1. I love mac and peas! What do you use for a cheese? The last time I made it, I melted some fat free Kraft cheddar cheese and it tasted like plastic ass. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried Kale chips before, I will have to in the future....do you make your own mac and cheese ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not make my own mac and cheese because there are some great packaged kinds out there. I really like the Rising Moon brand and Annie's makes a good one too. I also love the vegan Mac and Chreese but H is not really a fan.

    Kale chips are very interesting yet tasty. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete