June 2, 2009

It Starts With An S

So, my post today is made up of quite a few subjects that begin with the letter S. Here they are in no particular order:

Simbree Energy Bites
I recently received a sample of Simbree Energy Bites from the great people over at Simbree. I had heard a lot about their products and I was anxious to try them out. Anyone who trains for long distance events knows how boring and monotonous it can become to refuel while cycling and running. I am extremely picky when it comes to what I will eat or drink while training and racing and I tend to stick to the same stuff over and over again. Whenever I hear of a new product like this, I jump at the chance to try it out and mix things up a little bit. When I received my package from Simbree, I ripped the box open like a little kid on Christmas morning and started to check out the Energy Bites.
(Something has happened to the picture I had previously posted of the Simbree Energy Bites. This is the only picture I could find. Oops! Trust me when I say that they are much bigger in real life. Stupid computer!!)

Unfortunately, I was very sad to discover that the energy bites contained brown sugar which rules them out for me. I try to not eat any refined sugar because I find it gives me more energy and keeps my stomach happy but it is very disappointing in situations like this where I really want to try the product that is offered. I gave the package of energy bites to my precious hubby and the amazing Mel to test out for me and they both thought that they were great. The hubby ate his on a long bike ride and thought that they were the perfect fuel and easy to eat while riding. The small chunks fit easily in his bike jersey and didn't melt or become nasty in the hot sun. Mel really enjoyed the energy bites as well and was interested in purchasing a few to have on hand as a snack. Simbree products are not available at any of the stores in our area but they can be purchased online at http://www.simbree.com/. I have heard nothing but great things about these products. You should definitely check them out!


Speed Work and Stuff

This morning I had a great speed work session. I have a race next weekend and so I didn't want to push my legs too hard but I felt the need for speed! (Yep, I know I am a dork!) I started off with an easy mile to warm up and then did 6 x 800 meters and 6 x 400 meters. In between each repeat, I did a 400 meter recovery jog and I finished the workout with another couple of miles to cool down. Overall my legs felt great during this workout. My hamstrings were a little bit tight but I am planning on doing some aggressive stretching later on today, in addition to my physical therapy exercises. After I finished my run, I did a quick leg workout that broke my poor legs down. I did a fast combination of squats, lunges, weight exercises and jumping jacks. When I was done torturing my legs, I had just enough time for a quick core workout and some stretching. I was very proud of my workout today and I feel like I found the perfect balance of tough yet manageable.


Shepherd's Pie

I have been thinking of ways to create a vegetarian and healthy version of Shepherd's Pie for quite awhile now. I decided to try one of my ideas out last night and this one is a winner. The hubby and I both thought it was out of this world delicious. Like most of my recipes, this is probably quite a bit different from the traditional version of Shepherd's Pie. However, it does contain a few of the elements and satisfied my craving. Here is what I did:



First I chopped up 5 small red potatoes into bite size chunks.


I put the potatoes in a pot and let them cook until they were tender. Then, I mashed up the potatoes with a little bit of soy milk, garlic, salt and pepper.

I always leave the skins on the potatoes because I like my mashed potatoes chunky but this is entirely a matter of personal taste. If you prefer smooth and creamy potatoes then make sure you peel them before you cut them up. In a large casserole dish, I combined one bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green beans, etc.), three crumbled veggie burgers

(I used Dr. Praeger's California Burgers because I love them but any type of veggie burger would work), about 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup of water and additional garlic, salt and pepper. I mixed all of this together until combined and then topped the mixture with the mashed potatoes. I finished the dish with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and placed it in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

When I pulled my Shepherd's Pie out of the oven it was bubbly and lightly brown on top. This meal was so delicious and filling. I am already excited to eat the leftovers! Definitely give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.



So Long


That is all of the S stuff I have for you right now. Wasn't it sensational though?! See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment