June 10, 2009

It's A Southern Thing

I was born in Tucson, Arizona and spent the first ten years of my life living out west in Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. I grew up eating a lot of tacos, burritos, rice, beans and salsa and I love all of these foods to this day. When I was 10 years old, my family moved to Virginia and I was shocked at all of the differences between the east coast and the west coast. Before moving to Virginia, I never even knew that the word ya'll existed or that buying pickled pigs feet at the gas station was even a possibility. Who knew? There were many culinary differences as well. I was introduced to so many new foods, most of which I have still to this day been too nervous to try. Among them were grits, fat back, venison, brunswick stew, collard greens and barbecue sandwiches with coleslaw. After learning to adjust to this new way of life, I found quite a few southern foods that I love which is a good thing because my sexy man is a born and raised good ol southern boy. He absolutely loves grits and cornbread and biscuits and gravy and well, pretty much anything with some southern tradition. Last night I fixed an easy and nutritious meal of black eyed peas and cornbread.

It was a delicious, healthy and filling dinner that didn't require too much work and put a smile on my sexy man's face. You really can't ask for much more than that! The cornbread was made from the Hodgson's Mill Cornbread Mix and the black eyed peas were mixed with some diced tomatoes and various spices. All this meal was missing is a huge serving of greens...hold the fat back!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I know what you mean about specifically southern food. I made my one of my room mates from New York try grits for the first time. I was so surprised she hadn't had them before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'd have to add some macaroni & cheese to it though. Is it weird that I like to eat mac & cheese on top of corn bread? That's my guilty pleasure meal. Your man better have made you dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have still never tried grits but the hubby LOVES them. He swears by them before races! Who knows? He could be on to something!

    Mac and cheese on cornbread? Hmm? Never thought about that one but I suppose it could be good. Maybe I will get H to try it out first with his iron stomach! : )

    ReplyDelete