June 1, 2009

What A Weekend!

I had so much fun this weekend! We had absolutely gorgeous summer weather and I made sure to get outside and enjoy it. In fact, I have the sunburned back to prove it! When will I ever learn to put sunscreen on? It really is getting ridiculous!
On Saturday, Mel, Billy and I completed the Great Exercise Challenge. We went to every exercise class and spent just under six hours doing every form of exercise you can imagine. it was quite a challenge but we had a lot of fun. I know for sure that I would have had a hard time sticking it out if they were not there suffering alongside of me. After our incredible workout we grabbed a quick lunch at Ukrops. It was absolutely wonderful to sit outside in the sun and relax a little bit while filling my very empty tummy. It was really weird because I was absolutely starving when we finished working out but the only thing that I wanted was watermelon. I made a HUGE fruit salad of watermelon, pineapple, grapes, strawberries and mango and I enjoyed every last bit of it. When I finally made it back home, I took a quick shower and promptly fell asleep. I was absolutely exhausted from the long workout and an extra busy week at work. The nap felt so wonderful and I woke up absolutely starving. My precious hubby and I whipped up a quick meal of pizza and salad that definitely hit the spot. Our dinner was nothing fancy but it tasted absolutely amazing. We spent the rest of the evening relaxing, reading, watching cheesy old movies and just enjoying a night of relaxation. It was the perfect ending to a really great day.

On Sunday, I woke up bright and early to do a brick workout. I was planning on doing a 30 mile bike ride followed by a five mile run. I made it through all of my pre workout ritual, (breakfast, stretch, bathroom, blah, blah blah...) and was getting ready to head out the door when the sky opened up. I am not sure where the rain came from but it was quite the storm. We had lightning, thunder, wind and torrential downpours. I was so disappointed because I was literally all ready to go. I decided to go back to bed and wait out the storm for awhile. After about an hour of sleep, I woke up and the skies were blue. The only sign of rain were the puddles on the ground. Crazy summer weather! My sexy man had to go into work for a little while and so we decided to push the workout back until the afternoon. I am totally not into working out in the afternoon because I start to get drowsy if I wait to workout but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. We did manage to squeeze in a quick run before the hubby had to go to work and we had a blast chatting and enjoying the cool morning air. After the run, I ran a few errands and by 12:00 the hubby and I were on our bikes and ready to go. We had a great ride and did a 25 mile out and back course. We managed to finish in just over an hour and made it back safely and minimally sunburned.
I am not sure how we finished so quickly because we normally ride quite a bit slower than this. Maybe it was the beautiful day and the excitement of being on our bikes. The hubby is convinced that it is a result of the Enlyten Strips that he was testing out for me. I received a couple of samples of the Enlyten Strips a couple of weeks ago and the hubby decided to be my sampler...I know that isn't a word but whatever!
Enlyten Strips are like the little Listerine breath strips but they are used to replace the electrolytes that we lose while exercising. My precious hubby tried out the berry flavor of the strips and loved them. He mentioned that they taste like candy and he happily ate quite a few strips while pedaling down the road. He especially liked how easy the strips were to eat while riding. You can check this product out at http://www.allstrips.com/ and see what all the buzz is about. Apparently Shaquille O'Neal is a fan.

After a quick shower and some lunch, we met my Dad and Mel for coffee. It was really nice to spend some time with my Dad and as I am sure you know by now, I am always up for hanging out with Mel. I don't get to see very much of parents because they are both pretty busy with their own lives and so it really means a lot to me when they take time to call or hang out with me. My parents divorced about ten years ago and they have both remarried and moved on with their lives. I am glad that they have both found people who make them happy but sometimes it is difficult to feel like a family. I think one of the reasons Mel and I are so close is because we provide a sense of family for each other which is very important to me. I think everyone should have a Mel in their lives. Anyway, we had a great time chatting with my Dad and catching up with him a bit and then we had more errands to run. After all of the errands were finished I spent a bunch of time in the kitchen baking and trying out a few new recipes. A couple of weeks ago, the amazing people over at Navita's Naturals sent me a wonderful package of some of their products.
I received Chia Seeds, Acai Powder, Goji Berries and Cacao Nibs. They also sent me a recipe booklet and a very cool water bottle. I have to admit that it has taken me a couple of weeks to work up the courage to try out the products because I am sort of scared of the whole raw food thing. I have made a few raw food recipes and they turned out great but there is something really intimidating to me about making raw food. I found a couple of recipes that seemed to be somewhat easy and finally worked up the courage to try them out. First I made Acai Berry Jam which was VERY easy and quite tasty. This was my first experience with Chia Seeds and it was really neat to watch them gel and create a jam type of liquid.
I followed the recipe that I found on the Navita's naturals website and added about 1/2 a cup of strawberries to the mixture. The actual ingredient list for this recipe was short and included two of the products that I received. It was a mixture of Chia Seeds, Acai Powder, lemon juice, agave and apple juice.
The jam is really quite tasty and I am excited to try it out on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I know that ruins the whole raw aspect of the jam but it sounds really good to me. What can I say, I am all about a good pb & j!?!
The other recipe I tried was for No Bake Fudge Brownies and was found on the Navita's naturals website as well. I was very excited to try these because they looked super easy and who doesn't love a good brownie? The brownies were a combination of medjool dates, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, walnuts and sea salt. I also added a little bit of vanilla to the mixture and they turned out perfect. The brownies did take a little bit of time to process completely in my food processor but it was well worth the wait. I was planning on sharing these brownies with a few people so that I could give you a couple of reviews but when I woke up this morning, I looked in the fridge and my precious hubby had eaten the entire container. I guess they were a hit! I definitely consider my experiment with raw foods a success and I have Navita's Naturals to thank for it. I have a couple more recipes that I am looking forward to trying and I will definitely let you know how they turn out. You can check out this great company and all of their amazing products at http://www.navitasnaturals.com/.

I also spent some time making banana nut muffins, (which I do not have a picture of) and a batch of Super Charge Me Cookies that I turned into cookie bars. The cookie bars turned out perfectly and I am actually wishing that I had one right now. I love these cookies because the combination of flavors just keep your taste buds guessing. I am pretty sure these will not last very long in our house and I have a feeling that the husband won't be the one to blame!

Whew! This post is starting to wear me out and I am pretty sure I have lost every one's interest by now. I guess I had a lot to say but what else is new? Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Wow, you had a busy weekend! So glad that the superfoods were such a hit for you. Especially as an athlete, the acai berry jam couldn't be better for your training to help with endurance and recovery. :) Here's another AWESOME acai recipe on the Navitas Naturals site: http://www.naviatasnaturals.com/recipes/acai/indigo-granita.html - a healthy ice-cold treat great for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bunch of additional superfood recipes on my personal site as well, which I welcome you to check out! :) Fun!
    http://www.JulieMorris.net/category/recipes/

    ReplyDelete