July 31, 2009

Giving It My All

Good morning and welcome to Friday! Thank God we made it! Today has definitely started off on the right foot and I am ready for an awesome weekend! I went swimming last night after I got off work and didn't make it home until kind of late. The swim went well but I was exhausted by the time I got home. H and I ate huge bowls of cereal and then fell into bed exhausted. This morning I was able to sleep in until about 4:30 and it felt marvelous. When I woke up I did a tough but fun hour of a boot camp style workout with lots of plyometrics. I was dripping in sweat and feeling energized when the workout was over. During my cool down, I was thinking about how much effort and energy I had put into the workout and my attempt to give it my all. I can honestly say that I give my all to my workouts 99% of the time and I love that. However, I think I need to reevaluate how much energy and effort I am putting into the rest of my life. So often I simply go through the motions of fulfilling my daily activities like work but I need to remember that I only get this one shot at life and I need to make the most of it. I may not want to be at work or go grocery shopping or even make my commute but each day I am given the opportunity to embrace life and make it awesome or to simply sit back and let life happen. I want to aim to give life everything I have got so that I don't look back with regrets. Crazy how I got all of that out of a cool down huh?


After my workout, I rushed to get ready for work and then met Mel for our weekly Coffee Club date.



We had a fabulous time as usual and Mel brought us a great breakfast of homemade peanut butter cookies and bananas.



We also had lots of coffee and gossipped our way through breakfast. Honestly, I don't think there is any better way to start a Friday.

I have a pretty packed weekend ahead of me but I have reserved a little bit of time on Sunday to take a nap. I am totally looking forward to it! I know that makes me sound like an old lady but honestly, I just love naps. I have a TOUGH training schedule this weekend but I am excited to see how my body handles it all. I am ready to give it my all! Well, we will see anyway, right?!

I really don't have anything else to chat about this morning unless you want to see a copy of my to do list. No? Hmmm, I can't blame you there because honestly, I don't want to look at it either. I am off to get some work done. Be back to chat again as soon as I have something worthwhile to talk about. Later bloggies!

2 comments:

  1. I find myself thinking this way too. Oftentimes I'm so sore from working out that I don't want to do anything. I feel like I miss out on alot of things because I'm to sore to walk around or too tired. I'm not sure how to balance it all. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! I am not sure that I can really offer a lot of tips because I am still trying to figure out how to balance everything. I can tell you that there are a few things in life that will always be more important to me than working out and training for races. Obviously my husband and family come first along with my mental sanity and any obligations that I have previously committed to. With that being said, your workouts should not drain all of your energy. At certain times you will be completely spent from a long run or an increased effort but you should not feel exhausted on a daily basis. If you are finding yourself too worn out to live your life then is it really the life you want to live? I cannot answer that question for anyone but myself but I will tell you that overtraining and killing your body does not make you stronger, faster or thinner. Overtraining will only make you grumpy, tired and sore. Make sure you are listening to your body and know when to back off.

    ReplyDelete