July 24, 2009

Happy Friday!

Good morning and TGIF! I am such a Friday nerd! Well, in all honesty I am a 24/7 nerd but its all good. I have learned to embrace my nerdiness. Anyway, my Friday has been sort of weird because I woke up this morning with the distinct feeling that I was running late. For some reason, I feel like I have a million things to do and none of them are getting done. I know I am just a little bit stressed and things will be better soon but you may want to brace yourself for a full blown panic attack! Just kidding...sort of! I was literally shaking last night on the way to yoga from the not so pleasant combination of stress and caffeine. Luckily, by the time class was over, I was feeling much more zen and peaceful. Yoga is just amazing like that. It was a great and super gentle class which was exactly what I needed.

I recently received a request to post a typical week of workouts and I am more than happy to oblige. Before I post my training plan, I should mention a couple of things. First of all, I am a chronic over trainer. I know this and I am cool with it. Also, my training plan changes quite often depending on my race schedule and my current focus. I am currently training for quite a few shorter races but I have begun building my base for the Richmond Marathon and I am also pretty focused on the Patriot's Half Ironman. Finally, I am more than happy to answer questions and field comments regarding my training but please be nice about it. I have been doing this for quite awhile and have worked with coaches that I have a lot of respect for. My training plan reflects their guidance and what I have found to work for me. With all of that out of the way, here is a "typical" week.


Monday AM: Bike or Spin Class-60 min./Upper Body Weights-45 min./Core Work-30 min./Easy Run-30 min.


Monday PM: Swim-60 min./Stretching and PT Exercises


Tuesday AM: Speed Work (this is usually a 15-20 mile run of intervals)/Core Work-30 min. /Stretching and PT Exercises


Tuesday PM: Yoga-30-60 min.


Wednesday AM: Easy Run - 60 min./Core Work - 30 min./Yoga-60 min.


Wednesday PM: Bike-60 min./Stretching and PT Exercises


Thursday AM: Hill or Tempo Run - 120 min./Lower Body Weights/Stretching and PT Exercises


Thursday PM: Yoga-60 min


Friday AM: Circuit Training-60 min. (this includes weights, plyometrics, core work and cardio)


Friday PM: Swim-60 min. (I skip this workout a lot!)


Saturday: Brick Workout (this is typically a 2-3 hour bike ride followed by an hour of running)/ Stretching and PT Exercises

Sunday: Long Run (this is varying distances and paces i.e. this week I have 17 miles with 12 at an 8:00 and 5 at a 7:10)/Open Water Swim - 1200-1600 meters/Stretching and PT Exercises


So there you have it. This is what a typical week looks like for me. My training plan is definitely heavy on running but that is because I LOVE to run. I would rather run that do pretty much anything else. Well, not anything but almost! Please let me know if you guys have any questions about any of the workouts I have posted.

Plans for this weekend include some work with my in-laws but we also have some fun stuff planned. I am hoping to make it up to Charlottesville to pick peaches and as always, my fingers are crossed that there is a nap in my future. I really better get to work but I hope you all have a wonderful and super fun weekend. Be back to chat soon!

8 comments:

  1. That was fast! Thank you! You are one busy lady that's for sure. It's all worthwhile come race days though right? I need to start adding yoga to my own schedule. It must be a great way to get out the kinks at the end of the day. I'll probably add it to my schedule a few nights after work next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoga is awesome and definitely worth making time for. I stopped practicing for about a year and kept getting injured. I really believe that yoga is what helps me to not get injured and continue to train this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. you have a great schedule. Good luck training!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for the advice:)
    Where is a good place to open water swim around Richmond, btw?

    And your week of workouts is hardcore/way intense, but I'm sure you'll do amazing at the Patriot's Half. I hope to (maybe) do it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog :) Its very interesting to read about your training plan! You definitely do a lot but I completely agree that adding yoga is probably helping you not get injured!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly and She-Fit. Thank you for the encouraging comments!

    KAT: In regard to open water swimming, I usually go to the Huguenot Flatwater area to swim because it is relatively calm. You can also swim at Maidens Landing, Lake Anna and ocassionally at Robious Landing Park. Check out the Richmond Tri Club website as well because they do quite a few group open water swim clinics. I definitely would encourage you to set Patriot's as a goal for next year. It is a great race and tons of fun. The course is gorgeous and the support is phenomenal. They also have a sprint and an olympic distance in case you want to try racing the venue before trying a half IM. I hope some of this information helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hot damn! i don't know that i've commented but i've been reading for awhile and am so impressed :) how do you find the time/energy for all that??? i find it hard enough to train for sprints with work! trying to work more yoga in, as i've got a tight left side...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ttfn300: Thanks for taking the time to read this silly little blog and also for your comment. I know that it is hard to find time for training but make sure you stick with the yoga. I honestly believe that it is crucial to keeping your body injury free. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete