July 23, 2009

I Can Conquer The Hills

So, this morning started with a crazy little hill workout. I woke up early as usual and went to the gym for a nice little warm up jog. I did an easy two miles to wake my legs up and then hit the weight room for about 45 minutes. My weight workout was focused on my back, lats and triceps. I completely wore my muscles down and then grabbed some water and met Mel for a hill workout. Mel and I ran just over two miles to a huge hill in my neighborhood and proceeded to do intervals up and down the hill for the next 20 minutes. We had a blast racing up the hill and my hamstrings were screaming by the last two intervals. We did an easy cool down jog on the way back to the gym and finished with a nice long stretch. My legs feel a little bit tight right now but luckily I have yoga tonight and that will help to work out all of these little kinks.

I had a great breakfast as soon as I got to work because my stomach was grumbling. I had an Odwalla bar, lots of coffee and my daily vitamins. I also ate a banana in the car on the way to work but I am definitely not coordinated enough to drive, eat and take a picture. Breakfast totally hit the spot.



I have a feeling that my workout was strong this morning because of my great dinner last night. I am all over the place with this blog post so let me back up a bit. After work last night, I came home and grabbed a quick snack of an apple and a handful of cereal. Then, I changed in my bike clothes and went for a quick 15 mile ride. It was super windy last night and my legs were not very excited about riding my bike. After a few miles though, my legs stopped hurting and I had a great time riding. When I finally made it back home, I made a quick batch of blackberry muffins, showered, packed my gym bag and lunch and then finally sat down to a delicious dinner. H and I had a quick and easy dinner of veggie burgers and brussel sprouts.



We topped our veggie burgers with some fresh spinach and the best tomato ever. Mel gave us a fresh tomato from her mother-in-law's garden and it was absolutely delicious. I love when people give me veggies from their gardens. Honestly, it is one of my favorite parts of summer. I wish that I was better with plants because I would love to have a garden but honestly, I do not have anything even close to a green thumb. I guess I will just have to keep begging for free stuff from other people's gardens! After dinner H and I relaxed on the couch and had a great protein shake. Our mixture included Vega Smoothie Infusion, cocoa powder, peanut butter, banana, soy milk and ice. It was absolutely delicious and made the perfect dessert. Now that I think about it, maybe it was the protein shake that helped me up the hills this morning.

I have not had a lot of time to watch the Tour De France this week but I have been catching little bits and pieces and it is getting crazy. Today is a time trial which is always exciting. I am hoping that my Astana guys can crush those silly old Schleck brothers once and for all after today. Honestly, where did those sneaky little Schlecks come from anyway? I mean, I was totally expecting Garmin Slipstream to make a move and I would have gladly watched Christian wear the yellow jersey for a stage or two but not the Schlecks! Okay, moving on. I know that most of you guys don't really care about the tour so thanks for hanging in there with me while I vent.

Happy Thursday guys! The weekend is so close I can almost feel myself relaxing! Talk to you soon!

4 comments:

  1. I so care about the TdF! I once interviewed Wiggins for a magazine article and he was such a nice guy - so I am totally delighted that he's doing so well.

    Makes me want a disk wheel for my bike though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola: I am with you on the disc wheel. I would absolutely love one but I am afraid I would freak out and crash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be curious to see a calendar of your workouts. I love seeing people's plans for the week, how many miles they run, etc...I find them to be a good resource of ideas for my own workout planning. Any chance you would do a post like that? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea Melissa. Check out today's post! : )

    ReplyDelete