July 7, 2009

Swimming, Sleep and Speed Work

I have been rushing around going through the motions over the past 24 hours because my schedule has been jam packed. The training plan that I am on right now is kicking my butt which is sort of cool in a weird masochistic way but when I combine all of the workouts with my regular activities, I am feeling stretched a bit thin. On top of that, H an I have not been getting a lot of sleep over the past couple of weeks. I definitely believe that lack of sleep causes our muscles to recover at a much slower pace and I can feel the effects of that even now. All of my workouts have required extra effort to do things that I normally could finish without a problem. I am not going to whine about it though. Honestly, the only thing I can do is keep on moving and try to get a decent night of sleep tonight. So, let me give you a couple of quick updates starting with my workouts so far this week.

Monday morning: 30 minute easy run, 60 minute spin class, upper body weights and core work.
Monday evening: 1600 meter swim and stretching.

Tuesday morning: 13 miles of speed work (8 x 1000 meters and 6 x 400 meters), push ups, abs and TONS of stretching and rolling.

I am feeling pretty tired at the moment but overall I feel good about how my body is adapting to the training plan. I guess we will see how I feel after the torture fest that will take place this weekend! Ugh...big sigh...but with a grin of nervous anticipation on my face!

Dinner last night was quick and easy because it was late when I walked in the door. H and I made veggie burgers (Dr. Praeger's because we think they are awesome) and a huge pan of kale chips.


The kale chips were even better this time because I didn't burn all of the edges. I just love being able to much and crunch on my greens. After dinner we ate huge bowls of watermelon while relaxing on the couch. We watched a few moments of Dance Your Ass Off and it was very entertaining in a weird sort of way. I sort of felt like the show was making fun of heavy people but all of the contestants seemed genuinely happy to be there. TV is just crazy! Did anyone happen to catch the show? If so, do you have an opinion on it? I would love to hear what other people thought about it.



In Tour De France news, I have to go ahead and give a little shout out to Team Astana! Lance is now in 3rd place and Contador is in 4th. I am super excited to see how this race unfolds but I am trying to pace myself because we still have a couple of weeks to go.

I know it is only Tuesday but this week has really been tough so far. There are a lot of personal things going on that are causing me tons of stress and sadness but to make matters worse, there have been two deaths so far this week that have really just hit too close to home. H lost a friend over the weekend and a co-worker of mine lost her husband last night. Although neither of these people were a huge part of my life, their deaths still touch me and leave a shadow of sadness over this week. I feel for their families and loved ones and struggle with how to let them know that they are in my thoughts and prayers in a way that doesn't seem generic and Hallmarkish. Being a grown up and dealing with the realities of life really sucks sometimes!

I don't want to leave you guys on a sad note so let me share with you an awesome quote I found recently:
"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." ~Buddha

Yep, that about sums it up for me. Have a great day guys!

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand where you are coming from with this post today. In the evenings lately, things that I usually enjoy have come to feel like awful chores because I am exhausted and my muscles want to just relax. I had a run today. A 4 miler. Simple. But I felt off and my hip that has never hurt before began to ache. And I thought to myself...what am I doing???

    I'm just looking for a balance between pushing myself/challenging myself hard and also respecting my body. It is a difficult balance to find, eh?

    Astana kicked ass today. I am 100% a Garmin Slipstream girl. And I thought they had it today until your boy Lance pulled Astana up a mountain and proceded to smash the rest of the time trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you on finding a healthy balance. I think it is tough to give everything 100% effort and so it becomes a tug of war and an internal struggle to decide what deserves our full attention and energy. Glad to know that you are right there with me on this.

    Astana blew my mind today! I just checked the results for today and we have four of the top five spots. Lance is mere hundreths of a second from 1st! I am stoked right now! Just to show good sportsmanship though...(in a whispered voice)Yay for Garmin Slipstream! : )

    ReplyDelete