August 13, 2009

Another Tempo Run In The Bag!

So, as many of you know by now, I have a very strong love/hate relationship with tempo running. I know for a fact that it makes me a stronger and faster runner but it is so hard to drag my butt on the treadmill to do them. This morning I had an 80 minute tempo run planned and when my alarm clock went off, I wanted to put the pillow over my head and pretend that I hadn't heard it. Instead though, I crawled out of bed and tried to motivate myself to get it done. I am not going to lie and tell you guys that it was easy or that magic happened as soon as I started running but honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was imagining it to be. I finished 11.50 miles in 81 minutes and felt awesome. I had very, very slight hip pain around mile 10 and my hamstrings felt pretty tight but the run is finished and I am just happy to have another one out of the way. I only have about 13 weeks until the marathon and a few of those weeks I will be tapering for other races and won't run at tempo pace. I can totally handle this!

After I finished my run, I did about an hour of weights and then I did a lot of stretching. I also spent tons of time on the foam roller which was just fabulous! It was a great morning at the gym and I feel energized and ready to face the day.

Last night, H and I went for a quick easy bike ride around the neighborhood. We rode really easily and just spent some time chatting about the day. It was a great way to unwind after work and also sneak a few extra bike miles in for the week. We didn't get home until pretty late so dinner was a super quick summer pasta salad and some steamed broccoli.


It was filling and delicious and easy - all of the marks of a great meal if you ask me!
I am almost finished reading Julie & Julia and need to pick a new book for my book club. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

So, is anyone else bummed about not making it to the Healthy Living Summit? It seems like the entire blog community will be there. Hopefully I can make it next year because I think it would be awesome to meet so many of you lovely ladies (and gentlemen?). To everyone who is going, have a wonderful time and make sure you blog all about it for the pathetic people like me who can't be there!
Alright people, I have TONS and TONS of work to get caught up on. Ciao Bella!

4 comments:

  1. Have you read MY LIFE IN FRANCE by Julia Child with ALEX PRUD'HOMME.
    It was pretty informative and after you finishe reading it, you almost feel as if you knew Julia personally. highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog through another blogger I had found on Runner's World. Great job on your tempo run - you were flying. My huband and I are just getting into tris so it's great to hear about other people's training and experiences. Thanks for putting all that positive energy out here! Amy (you can find us at christophertstewart.blogspot.com if you want)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love those steam in the bag veggies- so easy! as is the microwavable rice... i cooked a complete meal in the microwave the other day :)

    i need to pick up julie and julia! loved the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Vegan Tickles and Amy! I am so happy you stopped by my silly little blog!

    Vegan Tickles: I have never read My Life In France but it has been on my to read list for awhile now. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and go for it! : )

    ttfn30: Seriously, what did we do before microwaves and easy things like steam in bag veggies and rice? It makes life so much less complicated. I realized just how spoiled I am by these things when we were grilling on a charcoal grill the other day and had to wait 30 minutes just to get the charcoal hot. Then, we had to wait even longer for everything to cook. I discovered that I have absolutely no patience whatsoever! : )

    ReplyDelete