August 24, 2009

Are You Ready For The Recap?

I am sure you have all been waiting in eager anticipation for my regular Monday morning weekend recap. I can't say I blame you really. I mean after all, H and I really know how to party it up! Well okay, even I will admit that I am stretching the truth quite a bit but we did have a nice and somewhat adventurous weekend. Here is how it all went down:

Saturday
H and I woke up around 6:00 and after a quick breakfast, we got on our bikes and set out on an adventure. We had mapped out a course that involved quite a few hills, as well as a few new areas to ride in.


We had a wonderful ride up until about mile 30 when H had a horrible bike crash. We were riding along at just over 18 mph on a pretty busy road, when all of a sudden I heard a loud yell, screeching brakes, the sound of a bike hitting the pavement and then the gruesome sound of skin being dragged across the road. As soon as I realized what happened, I threw my bike down in the median and ran as fast as I could (in my bike shoes) to pull H and his bike out of the road. He was a little bit dazed and there was blood everywhere. To top off the chaos, there was a long line of cars stopped in both directions and although a few of them were nice enough to see if we needed help, most of them were yelling at us to get out of the road and looking very frustrated. We did our best to get all of H's stuff out of the road and he tried to walk off some of the pain while I did a quick bike check. Luckily, the bike was fine and neither it or H was hit by a car. We managed to get some of the bleeding under control and then got back on our bikes to head home. We were still about five miles from our house but H was a trooper and pedaled the whole way back without any complaints. I know he was in a lot of pain but he managed to keep a great pace and focus on the ride.




Once we made it home, I worked on getting all of his road rash cleaned up and then once he was all set, I got back on my bike to finish another 20 miles. I managed to finish the ride pretty quickly and then came home, threw my running shoes on and did a fast tempo brick run. It was really starting to get hot out but my legs felt wonderful. I enjoyed every second of the run and only stopped because I had a very long run planned for the next day and wanted my legs to feel fresh. After the workout, H and I ran some errands, went out for coffee and then did some chores around the house. I spent a lot of the afternoon getting food ready for our weekly family dinner. I made some homemade marinara sauce, roasted summer squash and zucchini and also made a pumpkin pie. I know it is very weird to make a pumpkin pie in August but it sounded really good at the time and I can make a mean pumpkin pie. Around 6:00, we headed over to my Amy's house (my sister) and had a wonderful pasta dinner together. It was a full house with both of my sisters and their husbands, my two beautiful nieces and my Dad and Step mom.

We all had a wonderful time chatting and joking around over some really great food. I had a huge bowl of spaghetti squash with marinara sauce, homemade pesto and lots of veggies. It was absolutely delicious! My family can cook! After dinner, H and I went home to watch the Redskins preseason game. Well, to be honest, H watched the game and I just relaxed on the couch and read Runner's World. It was a great ending to a fun but crazy day.

Sunday
I started my Sunday morning with a quick breakfast of coffee and a luna bar and then set out on my long run. I did a fast 7 mile loop through my neighborhood and then met H to finish the rest of my miles. H was feeling quite bruised and sore from his bike crash so we decided to set out for a nice steady 11 miles. We ran quite a bit of the Richmond marathon course and had a great time chatting and joking around with each other. My husband is seriously one of the funniest people I have ever met and he knows how to keep a conversation going. You would think that after all of this time together, we would have run out of things to say but that is definitely not the case. We had so much fun running together and he definitely gets the award for tough guy this weekend because I know he was in a lot of pain while he was running. He is so bruised up from the crash. After about 8 miles of his run, all of his road rash was broken open and bleeding again. He was able to tough it out for the last three miles and I am so proud of him. After we finished the run, we went out to lunch at Ellwood Thompson. We had a very decadent meal from the hot bar and then split some vanilla ice cream. It was such a great reward for a tough run. When we finished eating, H and I went home and took a long afternoon nap. We were both worn out from not only our workout but a tough week in general. It was so nice to relax the afternoon away. After we woke up, we watched the movie Taken while we ate huge bowls of cereal. Talk about a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. We were supposed to go swimming but instead we decided to do a few chores, run some errands and then head to Barnes & Noble for a coffee date. We spent a long time just chatting and looking at magazines which was awesome. We finally made it home around 8:30 and made a quick dinner of quinoa, steamed veggies and watermelon. All in all, if you forget about the bike crash, we had a wonderful weekend together. I have missed spending time with H because he has been SO busy at work. I wish we had a couple of weeks to run away together and forget about everything else but unless we win the lottery or fall into a huge inheritance, that just isn't going to be plausible right now. I guess I will just have to be thankful that I get to see him at the end of each day and start my countdown to next weekend.

What did you guys do this weekend? Anything fun and exciting? I would love to hear all about it in the comments section or of course you can always shoot me an email. Alright, lets get this Monday out of the way!

7 comments:

  1. What a trooper. So glad H is okay!

    I agree...anytime is a good time for pumpkin pie. I know you've had a rough couple of weeks, it's nice to see you smiling and in good spirits.
    This weekend I saw Norm MacDonald perform stand-up and I ate a lobster pizza. Pretty good as far as weekends go. Is it Friday yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Melissa!

    It sounds like you had a great weekend. I have never had lobster pizza but it sounds decadent. I bet H would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad H is ok. Great that you didn't let having to come home and clean road rash work as an excuse for not finishing your ride and run. Good job!

    I cimbed Mt. Fuji this weekend. My calves are pretty sore, but other than that I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy: I would have traded places with you in a heartbeat! Climbing Mt. Fuji sounds like an awesome way to spend the weekend!

    Matt: I saw your mileage for the week and I think you are amazing but crazy! You are totally going to rock the Chicago Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad H is ok minus the road rash and bruising! sounds like you guys had a much better weekend than i... but i needed some downtime so i guess its ok :) i am excited for another tri this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon: Downtime is one of my favorite weekend activities! : ) Good luck at your tri this weekend!

    ReplyDelete