August 11, 2009

Guess Who's Back?


I would apologize for being gone so long but honestly it was totally not my fault. I had no internet access for a couple of days and then when I finally was able to to get online my laptop decided to be stupid. Sheesh! I will admit that the break was nice but I have a ton of stuff to catch you guys up on. I am going to do one of my infamous blog picture posts with a brief description. Sorry to be such a slacker but you guys should be used to it by now! Here goes nothing!

Friday
I woke up early Friday and was able to squeeze in a quick workout. I did an hour of core, plyometrics, free weights and good old fashioned push ups. It was super fun and a perfect way to start the day.

After packing and eating a delicious breakfast of fruit salad, half an english muffin with almond butter and lots of coffee, we were off on our Outer Banks adventure. It was a quick drive to Kill Devil Hills and we found our townhouse pretty quickly. We stayed at a beautiful area called Bermuda Bay which was a colorful and fun neighborhood of townhouses. It was a fabulous place to stay.



We had a two bedroom, two and a half bath townhouse with tons of room. The townhouse had a fully stocked kitchen, a washer and dryer, a fun pool area and all of the comforts of home. The only downside to the place was a very uncomfortable bed. H and I didn't sleep very well because our bed had some sort of funky roll thing going on. The Matheny's loved their room and their bed though so I guess we just got lucky! Bermuda Bay is in a very quiet area of the Outer Banks and there are beautiful walking paths all around. I loved, loved, loved our place and would totally recommend it to anyone who happens to be heading to The Outer Banks. After getting settled into our townhouse, we changed into our bathing suits and went to hang out on the beach.


It was so nice to relax in the sun and listen to the waves. After a couple of hours of lounging at the beach, we made a huge delicious dinner of cheese pizza, broccoli and okra.
It was absolutely delicious. Dessert was a huge ripe cantaloupe that was very sweet and yummy. As soon as our bellies were full, we all fell asleep on the couch. Talk about a bunch of party animals. We were all literally in bed by 9:30 but I think the week had worn all of us out. Between lots of stress at work, the funeral too much training, we were all just exhausted and ready for some sleep.

Saturday
We were all up super early and excited to head out on a long run. Well, okay, so that isn't entirely true but I was up early and super excited. Mel, Billy H and I went out on a 10 mile run through all sorts of beautiful neighborhoods and along the beach. It was very hot and humid but we managed to have a pretty good run. We finished our last quarter mile with a sprint around the local high school track and it was so much fun. After the run, we all got ready to hit up the beach and spent the majority of the day hanging out in the sand.


Billy did quite a bit of boogie boarding but the rest of us fell asleep in the sun and ate lots of snacks.


After a full day in the sun we went back to our home away from home and started the preparations for Mel's birthday dinner. We grilled all sorts of delicious food including shrimp, veggie burgers, zucchini, portabella mushrooms and more. We also had tons of watermelon and we all ate until we were bursting. I guess all of the napping in the sun really worked up an appetite.



After dinner we went on a little adventure to Jockey's Ridge State Park which is a huge sand dune. I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures but man oh man was it beautiful. We spent quite a bit of time climbing up and down the sand dunes and watching the sun set. I had so much fun! Honestly, I think this was one of the highlights of the entire trip. Of course I would forget my camera! After our little adventure in the sand, we went home for dessert. I made a strawberry cake for Mel upon her request and I have to say that it turned out pretty great.


The icing was the best part by far. Seriously, I could have just eaten icing straight out of the bowl. The most important thing is that Mel loved the cake which made me super happy. She is seriously one of the coolest people in the whole world and totally deserves to be celebrated on her birthday.

We had so much fun singing happy birthday and eating way too much cake. We spent some time relaxing and then made our way to bed.

Sunday
We were up before the sun on Sunday because we had exciting morning plans. On a whim we had entered ourselves in a local 5K. I am always super excited to race! We made our way down to the beach and registered for the race. We ran in the OBX Sandbar 5K and it was so much fun.


The entire race was run on the beach and it was HARD. I have never run in the sand before and it is very different from running on the road or even on trails. I had a tough time getting the hang of sand running at first but once I figured out that you had to make a little bit of a jumping motion with each step, the miles seemed to go by a little bit quicker. Billy, H and Mel all did awesome and we had a blast. As soon as we crossed the finish line we walked right out into the ocean running shoes and all. The cold ocean water felt so great on my legs and feet. We hung around the race area for awhile and scored a few free t-shirts and some other goodies and then we rushed back to Bermuda Bay to pack up. We did a very quick packing job, showered, ate breakfast and got on the road. Most of the afternoon was spent in the car and when we finally made it back to Richmond, all I wanted to do is lay down and take a nap. I relaxed with H for a little while and then we did a few chores and ran some errands. It was a fun Sunday and a great way to end the weekend.

Monday
I took the day off from work on Monday because I had a long list of errands that needed to be taken care of. I have been putting so many things off and it was all starting to pile up. I spent a good portion of my day at DMV, the car repair shop and the grocery store but I also found time to have some fun. I was able to work out three times and also had a great afternoon date with H. We spent a good portion of our afternoon at the pool and then relaxed in the hot tub. I just love to do fun non work things on a Monday!

Tuesday
So here we are at Tuesday now. I seem to be somewhat caught up although I feel as if I have not done justice to just how much fun the past few days have been. I am honestly super blessed and I know that I have a lot to be thankful for. I did a very hard session of speed work this morning along with some core work, push ups and tons of stretching. The rest of my evening is going to be spent relaxing in my compression socks and rolling on the magical foam roller. I should be back to regular blogging tomorrow as long as nothing crazy happens between now and then. If you are still reading this then let me go ahead and apologize for my long windedness. (Is that even a word?) Have a great night guys! See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing the pictures with the blogosphere :) I'm super jealous of your beach time. Oh, and thanks for the recommendation of the foam roller. I was able to find one for $18 on sale! I can't wait for it to arrive. Hopefully, it will help sooth my sore back and legs. Thanks again you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Melissa, you are too kind. I am so glad you were able to find a foam roller. Just so you know, the first couple of times you use it, you are going to be sore. It is a lot like getting a deep tissue massage. Make sure you drink a lot of water to help flush the toxins out of your system and try to enjoy the pain. : )

    ReplyDelete