August 27, 2009

Saturnine

So, who can tell me (without googling it) what saturnine means? I googled "word of the day" and this is what popped up. I had no idea there even was a word of the day. Now I am super curious to check and see what tomorrow's word of the day is going to be. Who gets to pick the word of the day? What an important job that must be! For those of you who are curious, I will tell you what saturnine means at the end of this post. (See how I just tricked you all into reading the rest of my rambling thoughts!?! Clever, right?)

Last night was a super busy night . I was at work a little bit late due to unforeseen circumstances. As soon as I could sneak away from work, I rushed home and made a huge batch of banana nut muffins for one of H's clients, packed my gym bag and lunch for today, did a TOUGH ab workout, finished the weekly meal plan and grocery list, started the laundry and then grabbed my bike for a quick ride.


Normally, I love riding my bike in the evening but tonight it totally felt like another chore on my to do list. I had fun once I was out on my bike but man oh man, it was hard to actually get out the door.

I did a very fast 45 minute ride around my neighborhood and then rushed home to shower and relax with H.

Dinner was good ol tuna mac and cheese with a side of brussel sprouts. Nothing very fancy at all but it definitely hit the spot.


After dinner, I also had a huge bowl of watermelon while laying on the couch and chatting with my sexy man. We didn't last very long on the couch and decided to hit the hay (ha ha ha) very early. I think we were in bed by 9:45 which is awesome!

This morning I had a super tough tempo run on the agenda. I have been dreading this tempo run all week because my legs are already super tired from this week and I still have a 23 mile run to tackle on Sunday. I managed to finish my tempo run and to be quite honest, it wasn't that bad once I got into a groove. I will admit that there were about ten minutes or so when I really questioned why I torture myself like this but overall, it was awesome. It helped to have Mel just a few treadmills away busting out her tempo run as well. I guess misery really does love company. I finished 12 miles in 84 minutes and then had a nice long stretch. I also busted out a few quick push ups and some core work because no gym session would be complete without it!

Alright, so for everyone who is wondering about the word of the day...saturnine is an adjective describing a gloomy or sullen disposition as well as having a sardonic or bitter aspect. It can also describe those who are born under the astrological sign of Saturn. Now aren't you glad you stuck around for that? Your challenge for the day is to use the word saturnine in a sentence. Good luck!

6 comments:

  1. Whoa! 23 miles this weekend? Good luck--I usually only do 20-milers for marathons, although I'm considering doing 22 sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do at least one 25-26 mile run, two to three 20 milers and one to two 23 milers before any marathon. My coach is an ultra runner and believes in really high mileage. So far it has worked and my legs seem to be holding up well. I am a strong believer that there are a million different ways to train for a marathon and most of them will get you safely across the finish line. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo I am drooling over your bike! I am riding a 1986 road bike that my boyfriend road when he was 8, so yeah I am in the market for a new bike...you know, when I find $2k laying around :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer: I am drooling over that bike as well because it is H's bike. My bike is actually behind his in the picture but it is pretty awesome too. I have an Orbea Aqua dama which is part of Orbea's women's line. I love it! H and I saved for years to buy our bikes. Being a triathlete is way too expensive if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you go about finding a running coach any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon: I don't have a lot of experience with finding a running coach because I have only ever worked with one. My running coach is an awesome guy who I really admire. I am in awe of the way he runs and so H and I asked him to coach us. Luckily, despite a crazy schedule, he agreed and the rest is history.

    I think your best bet would be to find a runner that you admire and find out who trains them. If you live anywhere in the Richmond area, I can make a few suggestions but otherwise I am afraid I am not going to be much help.

    ReplyDelete