September 24, 2009

Get In My Belly!

Good morning and welcome to Thursday! I have a feeling it is going to be an awesome day! There is not really a great reason behind my title this morning but I have been super hungry over the last couple of days and that phrase just keeps running through my mind. I am not sure where the increased hunger is coming from but I am doing my best to keep my belly full.

Recently, the great people over at Twin Oaks Community Foods gave me a couple of samples to try out and review for the blog. Twin Oaks is a local company that makes tofu, tempeh, soy sausage and pate. H and I were very excited to try out the products, especially the sausage.

We decided to use some of the sausage to make sausage biscuits for dinner and they turned out really good. The soy sausage was super easy to make. All we did is slice the sausage up and place it in a lightly oiled pan on low heat for about 15 minutes.

The sausage got nice and crispy while the biscuits were baking and then dinner was served. My only complaint about the sausage is that it stuck to my pan and was very difficult to flip. I used a good amount of non stick cooking spray but it still stuck quite a bit. Oh well, we were able to scrape the slices out of the pan and they still tasted delicious! The soy sausage has a great smoky flavor to it and a nice chewy texture. I am not a big sausage fan but I really enjoyed this and H was in sausage heaven!
With our vegetarian sausage biscuits we had a huge serving of steamed brussel sprouts which always hits the spot!
We still have quite a bit of the sausage left and other Twin Oaks products to sample and after this first taste test I am excited to try some more. You can find out more about Twin Oaks Community Foods at twinoakstofu.com.

I had an easy taperish workout this morning that got my blood pumping and my heart rate up. I did a nice easy 5 mile run with a few hills thrown in for fun. I felt awesome during my run this morning and was itching to run a few more miles but I made myself stop so that my legs could rest up for the race on Saturday. My legs were very sad that our run was cut short so I consoled them by going to a great spin class. My favorite spin teacher was teaching so I rushed over to class, grabbed a bike and got my legs spinning. The class was great and we did a ton of sprinting which was fun. After spin class, I did a strength conditioning class and some core work. It was a perfect morning at the gym and I feel energized and ready for the day. I sort of missed doing my tempo run this morning but I am hoping that the extra rest will help my legs to feel fresh and ready to run on Saturday.

In closing, I have been thinking a lot lately about what I want to be when I grow up. I can't figure out what I want to do with my life and that really frustrates me. I feel like that is something I should know by now...or rather, should have known a long time ago! So, my question for you guys is how did you know what you wanted to be when you grew up? Was it clear cut for you or do you second guess yourself a lot? Also, I am open to any and all suggestions. What do you think I should be when I grow up?

Alright, enough of the chit chat...I have got to goooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Later!

4 comments:

  1. i love that you say "threw in a few hills for fun", that is awesome! the vegetarian sausage looks good. i wonder why it was so sticky? at least it still tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up too!! That is part of what my blog is all about...trying to figure out my way after my world imploded. I also needed to change my mindset...forget about what I think I "can't" do and start dreaming and planning without that little voice in the back of my head telling me I'm crazy!
    Good luck figuring it out...if you find the secret pass it on!!!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm, i don't know what i want to be when i grow up either... :/ it's been wearing on me lately, but i know it'll come when the time's right. i hope! that race you did last weekend looked fun, especially with the smiley face wrist bands :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I still don't know what I want to be. I am only 20 ;)

    ReplyDelete