September 20, 2009

Heart Of Virginia Bike Festival

Saturday dawned bright and early as H and I loaded all of our bike stuff in the car and made our wat to the Heart of Virginia Bike Festival. This bike festival is a relatively new event but it is a ton of fun! We had originally planned to participate in the 100 mile century but at the last minute we decided to try out the metric century instead. The metric century is 100k or 62 miles and winds along the beautiful country roads of Ashland and Hanover. If you have never participated in a century it is a very interesting event. It is not really a race atmosphere because there is no official start time and everyone rides along at their own pace. Basically, you arrive at the sight and sign in and then you receive your participant bracelet and a course map.

The bracelet allows you to stop at all of the rest stops along the way and the map is very detailed instructions that get you from point A to point B.
The first time I did any type of bike event I was absolutely amazed that I was responsible for figuring out the route on my own but now I look forward to it as an adventure. H and I always take turns figuring out where we need to turn and we count down the miles between each rest stop. Saturday was absolutely beautiful for a bike ride and we kept a nice solid pace throughout the entire ride despite a little bit of wind and a few nice sized hills. By the end of the ride, H and I were both very happy we had chosen to do the metric century versus the full century because we were able to finish the ride by 12:00 and still have plenty of energy to enjoy the rest of the day. It was an awesome Saturday morning adventure and has me itching to ride my bike more. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we will only have about three or four more weeks left of good bike riding weather around here...at least we went out with a bang!

6 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great way to spend the day together! Glad you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to do this bike ride so badly! I'm glad it was a good ride, despite wanting to go longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two look great and it sounds like the ride was a blast! We wish we could have joined you; maybe next year.

    You know who in PB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun way to spend the day together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really am enjoying the bike most of all since I started tri-training...I want to do some other bike events like a century! Looks like you guys had a blast this weekend and didn't have to worry too much about your times or distances. Cool!!!!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  6. want 2 ryde u still down?

    ReplyDelete