October 19, 2009

Caramel Apple Cake

I finally pulled the pictures off of my camera so that I could post this fabulous fall recipe and realized that as usual, my pictures look awful. Oh well, at least the cake is delicious!This recipe for Caramel Apple Cake is something that I came up with on the fly when I was in desperate need of a new recipe. See, here is the deal, every other month or so, I participate in a recipe exchange where we swap a new recipe that we have recently tried. Well, the night before the recipe exchange, I realized that I didn't have a recipe to bring to the recipe exchange and I went into full blown panic. I needed a recipe and I needed one fast! I quickly took inventory of what I had in my kitchen and realized that I could definitely make something with apples thanks to our recent apple picking adventure. As I was poking through the cabinets, I also found a huge jar of honey that one of H's clients brought to us and remembered a recipe I have for Honey Pecan Caramel. Now, I am not saying that I am a genius or anything but it was like a recipe bell went off...ding, ding, ding...Caramel...Apple...hmmm...cake is always good...Caramel Apple Cake! Yes! This is what I came up with:

Caramel Apple Cake
1 c. oats
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 small apple, chopped
1/2 c. agave
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. water
Combine all of the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until combined. Pour the cake batter into a lightly oiled pie plate and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine:
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. agave
1/2 c. evaporated milk
Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and continue to stir until the caramel mixture reaches 255 degrees. (Use a candy thermometer to determine the temperature.) Remove the caramel from the heat and add:
1 tbsp. earth balance or butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch of salt
1/3 c. chopped pecans
Mix the caramel well and then drizzle slowly over the top of the Apple Cake. Place the cake in the refrigerator and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Yum yum!

7 comments:

  1. great recipe, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soooo good and I have a feeling I'm gonna try to make it ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. a recipe exchange sounds fun! and this pie? simply fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm I want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky enought to be involved in the taste testing and it was to die for! Thanks again Stacy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hands down the best.The sauce was so good that I ate it straight,if this was in the house all the time I'd be a cow(A happy cow)Good one Stace I'm so lucky to be married to the worlds best baker!!! One day Stacy my dear will get discovered & the world will be a much much better place... :)

    ReplyDelete