October 7, 2009

Happy Hump Day!

Well guys, we have made it to Wednesday! I have a super busy day ahead of me but I am focused, driven and ready to get some work done. I am not sure how long this motivation will stick around so I am going to do a quick post and then get to work before it disappears.

Last night was a busy night at the Lane house. H was working really late and I had a bunch of errands to run after work. I was able to get all of my errands out of the way pretty quickly and even had time to get my hair cut. I popped into the salon to see if they could squeeze me in and I was able to get the very last appointment of the day. I absolutely love going to get my haircut because the ladies at my salon give the best head massages. Seriously, I would pay for just the massage because it literally takes all of the stress out of my body. I am not talking about a little rub while the stylist is washing my hair...oh no, these ladies literally put you in a reclining massage chair and massage your scalp until you feel like you have died and gone straight to Heaven. I wish that I could go back tonight and well, pretty much every night for the rest of my life.

Anyway, after my haircut, I went home to make some dinner and the creative juices were flowing. Actually, if you want to know the truth, I really didn't feel like cooking. We had quite a few things in our freezer and pantry that piqued my interest and I decided to throw them all together in a pan and see what came out. Here is how it all went down:

I crumbled the last of the Twin Oaks Soy Sausage into a pan.

The I added a can of diced tomatoes and a few random spices.

Next, I placed this package of Seeds Of Change Caribbean Red Beans and Rice in the microwave and heated it according to the package instructions.

Finally, I combined all of the ingredients in the pan and heated my concoction for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. I also steamed a huge amount of broccoli and then dinner was served.
This was a really great dinner and one that I am sure we will recreate at some point. The Twin Oaks Soy Sausage was a nice addition to the rice mix and definitely added a good amount of protein to our meal.

Do you guys ever make this type of dinner concoction? Are you experimental in the kitchen or do you like to follow recipes? I am very experimental and not very good at following a recipe but that just keeps life exciting!


My workout this morning was nice and easy which is typical for a Wednesday morning. I did an easy 6 mile run and then I went to yoga class. The run was just okay because my legs are a little bit sore from speed work yesterday but I was able to finish the run with a smile on my face which is how I like to do it. Yoga was great this morning and felt absolutely wonderful. My hamstrings were loving every moment of this class and I feel like a new woman. I am planning on doing a quick core workout this evening and I may even try to squeeze in another 30 minutes of yoga if I have time.


In other news, Mel (my beautiful and talented sister) was recently given TWO awesome work awards. She was voted Employee of the Month and Worthwhile Worker which is just fabulous. In addition to these awards at work, she also managed to pass a very difficult test at school that included quite a few trick questions. I am amazed by Mel and all that she manages to squeeze into 24 hours. She is a full time student, holds down a full time job, is training hard for the Philly Marathon and is an awesome wife, fur mom, sister and friend. It is about time that the rest of the world realized what an amazing person Mel is. I am so super proud of her and all that she has accomplished so far. The world better look out because she is unstoppable! (Love you Mel!)


Alright, I better get to work. Have an awesome day guys!

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Mel!

    It's nice to see such a loving relationship between sisters.

    I have trouble sticking to a recipe too. I like putting my own twist on things and making it more suitable to my tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks super delish! i am all about experimenting, i can't follow a recipe usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY superwoman MEL!!

    Most of my meals are like what you described! Taking what I have laying around, throwing it in a bowl, and eating! I rarely have "mistakes" because it is all food I like!

    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are peas in a pod :) both inspiring and superwomen!!

    i have been getting more adventures in my meal cooking, but when i started out I was pretty strict :) i'm sure we could work out some sort of trade... training for food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE head massages. That is seriously my favorite part about getting a haircut!

    ReplyDelete