October 19, 2009

Is It Really Monday Or Is Someone Playing a Cruel Joke?

How is it that the weekend goes by so fast? I had such a wonderful weekend of relaxation and rest. The weather here in good ol' Richmond was horrible for going outside and enjoying the day but it was absolutely perfect napping weather. H and I took full advantage of the gray, cloudy skies and cold weather by taking long afternoon naps, reading and watching movies. I think it was just what I needed after a very busy week of work.

I did manage to stay somewhat active this weekend with a lot of running. I did two very cold runs but they were both a lot of fun. On Saturday, I ran about 8.50 miles at a nice easy pace and then on Sunday I ran 25 miles at a pretty steady pace. I felt great after both runs and honestly, wish I was still out there running. I woke up this morning and went to the gym for a great workout. My legs were not sore at all but my body is very tired. I took it sort of easy on myself and did 30 minutes on the step mill, 30 minutes of strength training, 30 minutes of core work and finished up with my usual Monday morning spin class. We had a substitute teacher this morning who is one of the sweetest ladies in the world but I wasn't really digging her class. I felt like our class was really boring, repetitive and slow. I pushed myself as much as possible and enjoyed the ride to the best of my ability but I really miss our regular teacher.

Did you guys here about the three runners who died in the Detroit Half Marathon this weekend? That is so sad and very unusual. Have you ever seen someone get injured or even die in a race? I have never been witness to that (thank God) but I know that it happens quite often. There is a great article at RunnersWorld.com that explains a few of the reasons why runners may suffer from cardiac issues and even a few tips on how to prevent them. Check it out and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Good job on your runs!

    I heard about the runners. It's all very sad and scary. I've never seen anyone get injured in a race, but I've seen a few videos on YouTube of runners collapsing and it freaks me out.

    Enjoy your evening. Making anything yummy for din din tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, i hadn't heard, but i've been traveling and out of the loop... i heard an ambulance once during a race, but didn't see anything...

    ReplyDelete