October 27, 2009

Oopsy Daisy!

Well, this day has started off with a bang...quite literally! First things first though, good morning! I don't know about you guys but I am so happy that it is no longer Monday! Whew! Yesterday just kicked my butt! Anyway, I am about to tell you guys something that is quite embarrassing but highly entertaining. I really debated over whether or not I should throw myself under the bus like this because I really want you guys to think I am cool but unfortunately, I am just a big dork and I can no longer keep up the facade of coolness! I woke up this morning like usual and made my way to the gym for another session of Tuesday morning speed work. I was excited about my speed work this morning because my plan was to do a nice easy session of 8 x 200 meters and then hang out and work on my core until the Boot Camp class started at 6:00. Unfortunately, things did not turn out the way I had planned. I jumped on the treadmill right at 4:00 and was running along just enjoying my intervals. I have been pushing the pace a little bit lately and was really challenging myself but my legs were feeling great. I decided to add a few extra intervals into my workout because I was feeling great and I was running strong. After about an hour of running, I stopped to grab a sip of water and started on another set of intervals. Well, the next thing I knew, I started to feel really dizzy. I decided to push through and finish my interval which turned out to be a very bad decision because the next thing I knew, everything went black and I fell flat on my face. I realized pretty quickly that I needed to get up off of the treadmill but I was hanging on to the handles for dear life while my legs suffered the wrath of the treadmill belt. I was able to reach up and pull on the emergency stop switch but not before I was covered in horrible scrapes and pretty bruised up. I banged my elbow, wrist and both knees and I am missing quite a bit of skin on my shins and ankles. I was so embarrassed, pissed off and in pain but I was determined to finish my run. I am not sure why I was dizzy or what happened exactly but I felt fine through the rest of my run...well, as fine as someone can feel with blood running down their leg. I finished my run with 10 miles and turned my 8 x 200 meters into 25 x 200 meters. In hindsight, I probably should have stopped my run after my planned intervals were finished but I was feeling so good and I just love to run...stupid treadmill! After, my run I did a tiny bit of core work but I spent the majority of my free time laying on a mat, whining to Mel about how bad my legs hurt and trying to not cry. I was able to choke back the tears through Boot Camp class because well, you should never cry at Boot Camp...I am pretty sure that crying is frowned upon. We actually had a really great Boot Camp today and I felt strong through the entire thing. Mel and I even won the chariot races which is awesome! All in all, I had a great workout despite my little fall and although I am a little bit bruised up, I feel pretty good. Oopsy daisy...right?!

Last night for dinner, H and I tried a new recipe that Mel gave me a couple of weeks ago. The recipe is originally from Eating Well magazine but between my tweaks and Mel's tweaks, the recipe has changed quite a bit. We made Portabella Philly's and they were SO good. H has declared them one of his favorite meals of all time and I have to admit that I enjoyed every last little bite as well. This is how it all went down:


First I chopped up half of an onion and sauteed it in olive oil until it was tender.


Then, I added about 1 cup of tri colored peppers, a package of sliced baby bella mushrooms and garlic, oregano, pepper and sea salt to taste.

The veggies were sauteed in the pan for about 7 minutes or so, until they started to become tender. Then I added about 1 tsp. of corn starch and mixed well to coat all of the veggies.



Next, I added about 1/3 cup of veggie broth and turned the heat to low. I let the veggies come back to a simmer and then turned off the stove.



I sliced about 2oz. of pepper jack cheese and laid it right on top of the veggie mixture.


I placed the cover on the pan, and allowed the remaining heat from the veggies to melt the cheese.


Next, I warmed a fresh, Whole Foods baked, hoagie roll until soft and placed a bit of vegan mayo on one side of the roll.



I placed about 1/3 of the veggie mixture onto the roll, pressed the whole thing together and served.

These sandwiches were absolutely delicious, super easy and full of flavor. They will definitely be making an appearance on our dinner menu again. Thanks again for the recipe Mel! You are the best!

I am off to work now guys. I hope you all have a beautiful October day. Later!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I hope you're okay. You probably shouldn't have pushed yourself through a boot camp class Stacy! Take care of yourself. I really hope you're okay and are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BONK!!! Sounds like you had a little bonk..not to mention whacking your legs. Hope you are ok and take a little break!!! Drink some fluids and rest up..hope your hubs is feeling better too.
    That veggie sandwich looked so good...I made turkey meatball subs the other day but I think I would have been just as happy with the veggies!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i am the husband of this athlete i cannot come close to her intensity, I will tri though.Good job babe.See you @ home 730ish.xoxoxo miss u.Watch those blackouts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's scary. My mom did the same thing while running outside a couple years ago. We guess she balcked out because she doesn't remember tripping or falling and she couldn't have been conscious because she didn't try to break her fall. She scraped her face and knees pretty good, but nothing on her hands. If it happens again, please get checked out. Blackouts can be dangerous - just ask your shins! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just a few treadmills away and missed it. I feel like an awful sister!! Feel better soon babe!!!

    ReplyDelete