October 28, 2009

Yoga Is Meant For Hump Day

I am feeling so much better than yesterday and I think it was the amazing yoga class that I went to this morning. I needed a chance to let me body recover and repair itself. I love how healing and cleansing yoga is. I really wish that I had time to practice yoga every day...maybe I will focus on that as my resolution for next year. Anyway, besides a great yoga class, I also did a nice easy six mile run and a great core workout. I have a feeling my abs are going to be super sore tomorrow and that is awesome. I love a good hard core workout!

I took a few pictures of my treadmill war wounds for your viewing pleasure. If you have a squeamish stomach then you may want to scroll down and skip the pictures because I think the pictures look gross. I wanted you guys to see the proof though that treadmills can be very, very dangerous...especially if you are stupid enough to run when you feel dizzy. Trust me on this one guys, I have learned my lesson and I have the battle wounds to prove it!





Gross, yeah? Anyway, lets change gears a bit. While I was grocery shopping this week, I stumbled upon a huge display of acorn squash that was on sale. I am the type of person who is hesitant to try new foods and for me, acorn squash is a new food. I have tried all of the other squash varieties but for some reason I have just never gotten around to trying the acorn variety. I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try because it was budget friendly and I had a recipe idea in mind. Last night I decided to get creative with the acorn squash. First, I microwaved the squash for about 8 minutes until it was tender enough to cut in half. Once it was cut, I cleaned all of the seeds and goop out of the middle, placed the halves in a baking dish and sprinkled them with cinnamon.

While the squash was cooking in the microwave, I sauteed a mixture of celery, onions, mushrooms and seasonings in a tiny bit of vegetable broth until tender.
Once the veggies were cooked, I added a bunch of bread cubes and some more vegetable broth and mixed it all together to make a great stuffing.
(side note: stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving food and I look for any and every excuse to make it!) Once the stuffing was finished, I stuffed both of the acorn squash halves and baked them in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour.

The squash came out so tender and the stuffing was mmm mmm good!
This meal tasted just like Thanksgiving...especially when I covered my squash in some homemade cranberry sauce! H and I both really enjoyed this meal and I am so glad I took a chance and tried something new.

3 comments:

  1. OUCH!!! those look painful.wat to be tough you go girl.At the end of the day you are stronger & you pushed on.RESPECT

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a machine ;) ouchie... hope h is feeling better, too. and you have been cooking up some delicious eats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon: Thank you so much for your kind comments. You just made a rough day so much better! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete