November 12, 2009

Down In The Dumps

H and I decided to go down in the dumps last night for dinner with an old favorite. Last night was a perfect night for Garbage Potatoes...but who am I kidding? Any night is a great night for Garbage Potatoes! For those of you who are not in the know, Garbage Potatoes are something Mel and I came up with years ago when we were poor and hungry. We didn't have much money for groceries but we could afford to buy potatoes and we always had veggies in the freezer so we decided to get creative with our potatoes and turn them into a fun dinner. To make a Garbage Potato, you simply bake a potato (white or sweet potato) and then top it with anything you can find in your refrigerator or freezer that may be good on a potato.

We have had some really creative potatoes in the past that included, among other things:
-beans
-cheese
-salsa
-every imaginable veggie
-pineapple
-fish
-plain yogurt
-tofu
-cottage cheese
-various condiments (i.e. mustard, ketchup, honey, dressing, etc.)
-edamame
-nuts and seeds
-leftovers

...and just about anything else. Honestly, Garbage Potatoes are awesome. You should definitely give them a try!



H and I topped our potatoes last night with a mixture of veggies that included corn, red peppers, green beans, carrots, peas, edamame and okra. We also had a little bit of leftover salmon and some fresh mozzarella cheese buried in there among the veggies. I topped my potato with tons of bbq sauce and enough garlic to give me some kickin' garlic breath. Mmm mmm good and perfect for carb loading!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a GREAT idea to me ;) I eat food most people wouldn't touch just because it sounds good... I'm all for odd combos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lovin this carb loading too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought those were candy corns on top! I need to get my eyes checked.

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww such good memories! Good old garbage potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved stuffed potatoes! One of my favorite meals. yum yum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Asics workout wear too! I love that stuff, thanks for stopping by to mention that on my blog!

    Have a great day and your food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh wow, i could dig one of those right now! shouldn't every day be carb loading? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. major kudos on relaxing for the entire week. i hope you feel good during your marathon and have a lot of fun! i will think of you during my race, too. when i am done, you will be halfway there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy yummy I love putting random stuff on potatoes! They are the perfect "sled" for leftovers. I especially love putting turkey chili on a potato...one of my fave meals is a sweet potato with cottage cheese and hummus! Hmmm...I see that in my near future!
    GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!!!! I'll be thinking about you...run your butt off!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete