November 3, 2009

My Oh My...

This is shaping up to be quite the week. I am definitely not trying to be Debbie Downer but honestly, there are a lot of things going on in my world that are taking a toll on my sanity. There are obviously a few things that are a bit too personal to share but a quick summary would include my sister having surgery (Hang in there Amy! I love you!), insanity and stress at work, a dear friend passing away and the regular old taper blues. I am working very hard to stay upbeat and positive because I do not want to allow circumstances to dictate my attitude....this is definitely a work in progress.

I have quite a few pictures to post of food that I have been eating and of course I have a few workouts to talk about but it sort of feels trivial in comparison to other things that are on my mind. I need to acknowledge a beautiful life that was over way too quickly. Way back in 2004, H and I decided that we wanted to try yoga in order to work some of the kinks out of our bodies that we had placed there through running. Our gym offered quite a few different yoga classes and so we found a class that fit our schedule, bought a couple of yoga mats and showed up for class nervous and excited. We went into the class and after about 15 minutes of flowing through various poses, we were both hooked. The class was awesome and the teacher did a wonderful job of both challenging and relaxing us. We left that first yoga class with a spring in our step and decided to try out a few of the other classes that our gym offered. We went to two more yoga classes within the next week and quickly realized that all yoga is not the same! Our very first yoga class was absolutely amazing because the yoga teacher was awesome. She was full of grace, beauty, strength, encouragement and knowledge. We became regular attendees of her yoga class and over the next couple of years we established a casual friendship. Eventually, as most talented people do, this wonderful yoga teacher moved on to greater things. She opened her own yoga studio and a school for wanna be yogis, she published a book, recorded yoga Cd's, videos and pod casts and began to travel the world to share her beautiful yoga. H and I continued to practice yoga with some of her students and we kept in touch through various acquaintances. On Saturday, H and I learned that this beautiful woman was gone. As I type this, the entire thing still seems so unreal because I always planned to take at least one more class with this precious woman. I never expected her to be gone because she seemed so strong and above things like life and death. I can honestly say that I have never, in my life, met another person who could transform an entire room with the light that she carried. I learned so many things from this beautiful soul and I feel challenged to live my life in a way that would honor her legacy. I have been listening to her various pod casts over the past few days and they are serving as a reminder that I am responsible to live my life to the fullest...even through her death I am being challenged and learning to become a better person. Namaste my dear friend...may you rest in all of the peace you deserve.

"Meeting life head on, with a smile, attracts people and situations to us. Our attitudes shape our world, which is not to deny that problems do occur. However, problems can be viewed as special opportunities for personal growth, as gifts more or less, that we are ready to receive. The stumbling blocks we encounter, push us beyond our present awareness to teach us that we are stronger and more creative than we thought. We can beautify the day by smiling through all of the experiences that it offers us."


8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Life is so short, we need to tell everyone we love how much they mean to us every day. Again, I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Stacy, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like she had a fantastic spirit. Sending good thoughts for your sister's surgery too. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that Arlene is one of those rare people that changes everyone she comes into contact with just from her aura. Beautiful words to describe a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will do yoga & listen to her podcast & push a little bit harder because I have taken too much for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your yoga instructor sounds like a true gem, sorry to hear the news :( stay strong, like her memory of her will be!

    hope you're sister's doing well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. She sounds like she was an AMAZING person that had a great effect on you :) I hope you can find a way to carry on her legacy in some way in your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life can be so short and sweet. Every day we need a reminder that we could be gone at the whim of fate and we should love the best we can while we are here and leave with no regrets. Sounds like your friend lived like that. I hope you are ok and are able to keep moving forward despite the circumstances right now...your blog readers are here to listen if nothing else.
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete