November 4, 2009

Spaghetti Squash and Sun Salutations

First of all, I must say thank you to everyone for their kind words regarding the death of my friend...they bring a world of comfort in the midst of a tough time. Also, thank you for your well wishes for my sister. I am not going to go into detail about her surgery because it is really not my place to do that but she is home now and although she is in a lot of pain, I think she is going to be okay. ( Hang in there Amy!)

So, I am not really sure how I will recap the last couple of days because my recaps always turn out weird. Maybe I will just talk about today and count the other days as a loss. Hmm...yep, I have decided...that is what I am going to do!

Last night for dinner, I whipped up one of my favorite veggielicious meals which is Spaghetti Squash! I just love spaghetti squash! My spaghetti squash recipe is super easy and as an added bonus it is extremely budget friendly. I always make my spaghetti squash in the microwave because it is super easy. I am sure that roasting it in the oven would give it a richer taste but honestly, I don't have an hour to wait on a squash! Instead, I just poke a couple of holes in that pretty little squash and then put it in the microwave for about ten minutes. While the squash was cooking, I heated up some pasta sauce and added a ton of garlic, bell peppers and diced tomatoes. Once everything was warm, I simply scraped the "spaghetti" out of my squash, ladled a bit of sauce over the top and then sprinkled it all with a bit of Parmesan cheese.





This meal was so delicious! I can't wait to eat the leftovers later on today!

I have been trying to taper for the marathon this week but so far that is not really going too well. The only difference in my workouts this week in comparison to last week, is that I am now doing them one week closer to the race. I am going to have to get serious about this taper thing if I have any hope of doing well in the marathon. This morning was my mid week recovery day and I did a nice easy 6 mile run while jamming along to my Ipod. (There may or may not have been some air guitar and a quick drum solo at one point...you will never know! Well, I suppose if you viewed the security tapes at my gym then you would know but I digress!) After my run, I had an awesome plan all set up to work my core. I was in my groove and really putting a hurting on my obliques but then some creepy guy came over and started making comments about my body. Umm...eww! I decided to move my workout to the other side of the gym and continue but by the time I set all of my equipment up again, I was running late for yoga. I managed to make it into yoga class on time but I was not feeling very zen as class started. I really felt like using my yoga mat to beat some sense into creepy guy! After a few minutes of sun salutations, I was back to me peace loving self and we had an incredible yoga class. I am feeling much better after this workout and I think I am ready to conquer my last big tempo run tomorrow...it is going to be a doozy of a run and I am super nervous about it. Cross your fingers for me because I am not sure I will make it off of the treadmill alive! Okay, that is a little bit melodramatic but still, cross your fingers okay?!

I better get some work done because this day is flying away from me. Be back to chat again soon!

12 comments:

  1. I hate skeevy guys at the gym. GROSS.

    Spaghetti squash looks goooooood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, that looks delicious!

    Not sure if you are running the Richmond Marathon or not (your sidebar says you are, but then you said your marathon this week), but I will be pacing the 4:45 group. Come say hi! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ewwww creeeeepy guy!! that is horribly unnerving to me

    i make my squash in the microwave too..I know there is all kinds of stuff about it being better to cook it but hey I'm eating my veggies right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eww creepy guys! I go to my neighborhood (as in only accessible by people in my neigborhood) gym so the only creepy guy there is my boyfriend...kidding! Sorry I was trying to make you laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura: I am sorry to confuse you, I am running Richmond on the 14th. I meant to state that my taper was happening this week. Sorry for the confusion. I will definitely look for you in the 4:45 pace group.

    Run To The Finish: Veggies are veggies in my book! : )

    Jennifer: You totally made me laugh! :) Good luck in the OBX this weekend! I can't wait to hear about your race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is my first time. Very much looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura: You will love the Richmond course and spectators. This is my sixth time running this race and it gets better every year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my you have so much going on! I'm glad to hear your sister is doing well!

    I am trying to taper for a 10 miler and I am finding THAT difficult. I can't even imagine how tough it is when you're prepping for a marathon.

    Spaghetti squash is amazing! One of my favorite meals as well!

    Body attack is an athletic training class while combat is more of a cardio kickboxing type class. More information: lesmills.com :) They're both fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dinner looks great and I've seen that drum solo!!!

    PB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how I haven't thought of that but microwaving spaghetti squash sounds so much quicker than putting it in the oven ... next time I think I'll try that! Your simple recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah...I not only air drums and air guitar but I sing out loud while I'm running outside and have now discovered I do it while at the gym. OOPS. It is the gym, not karoake!! HA!
    I didn't know you could microwave spaghetti squash...thanks for the awesome tip!!!!!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love how easy microwaving the winter squashes is! and now i'm craving some spaghetti squash :) sorry to hear about skeevy guy...

    good luck with the marathon this weekend!!! just in case i can't get back here before then :)

    ReplyDelete