November 2, 2009

Welcome To November 2009

November has arrived! Woo hoo! I just love November for so many reasons but the main reason is that I usually have a big race on the horizon. The Richmond Marathon is just 12 days away and I am super excited! I had my last semi long run yesterday and my legs are feeling pretty good. Lets back up a little bit though...I think I feel a weekend recap coming on!

Saturday
I woke up early on Saturday morning and peeked out of the window to see what kind of weather I was going to be running in. The weather man had promised a beautiful sunny day but instead it was rainy, humid and gross. I had a quick breakfast and then set out for a great run around my favorite neighborhood loop. I was feeling really great this morning and I managed to finish 9.25 miles in no time at all. At one point in my run, I planned to run through a new neighborhood but as I approached the entrance, I looked in the distance and all I saw in front of me were tons of runners. Apparently, I was running straight into a local 5K and the entire field was coming at me! I quickly turned myself around and found a side street to finish the rest of my run. It was very exciting to be leading the race for a few minutes though! Ha ha! After my run, I quickly showered and then got to work making cookies for my brother as part of his birthday gift. I made a huge batch of gingersnap cookies, wrapped a few birthday presents and then left for my niece's birthday party. My beautiful niece Ava turned 3 on Saturday and we had a great time celebrating, eating cake and playing silly games. H spent some time scaring the kids with his mask and taking silly pictures.


After the birthday party, I went home and took a nice , long nap. Well, actually it was only about 45 minutes but it felt wonderful. When I woke up, I went to run a few last minute errands and then came home to make a salad for another birthday celebration. H and I had dinner with the Matheny's in order to celebrate my brother's birthday. Billy turned 25 on Saturday and we had an awesome time eating pizza, chatting and handing out treats to the kids in their neighborhood. H and I didn't dress up for Halloween because we are old and boring and no fun but Mel and Billy totally rocked their white trash outfits.

They looked hilarious and did a great job on their costumes! Too funny! After our second birthday celebration of the day, I was exhausted. H and I spent the rest of the evening snuggled up on the couch watching The Soup and eating a ton of red grapes...I really don't think it gets a whole lot better than that!

Sunday
I woke up super early on Sunday morning to the sounds of a really bad storm. It was pouring! I mean, for real...it was POURING! I managed to fall asleep for another hour or so and then dragged myself out of bed to get ready for my long run. I had plans to meet the Matheny's at a local park for a long run but there was absolutely no way I was going to go out in the torrential downpour that was outside of my window. I managed to change our running plans and we met at the gym to run on the track. I absolutely HATE to do long runs inside and I especially hate to do them on a track but it was either that or run outside and face the possibility of death due to drowning. The track at my gym is really cool but it is short. In order to run one mile you have to complete six laps. We had a 16 mile run to finish which meant 96 laps around the track...talk about boring and repetitive! We managed to get all 96 laps finished and I really did have a good time chatting with Mel and Billy but I was VERY happy to have this run behind me. After my run, I drove home to shower and then my sweet husband took me out on a coffee date. We spent a couple of hours chatting and reading at Barnes and Noble which was the perfect way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. The rest of my Sunday was spent napping, talking to my Mom (hi Mom!), baking and getting stuff ready for another week of work.

I really had a fabulous weekend and I am ready to start counting down to the next one. How was your weekend?

Also, have you ever done a long run on a track? Did you enjoy it or were you cursing the track by the time it was finished? My coach does a 24 hour run on a school track every year to raise money for various organizations and he usually does 100 miles or more....that is more than 400 laps around a track! In my opinion, he is crazy!

Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

  1. UGH!!! 96 laps is torture! I belonged to a gym that 10 laps was a mile...even more torture! Sounds like you powered through it though...nothing like good conversation to keep a boring run going.
    LOVE the white trash costumes...hilarious!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough & takes dicipline to do it you must be mentally strong.Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you ran 16 miles on a track? No way in hell I could do that. I would rather suffer outside no matter what the weather was! The longest I have ever run inside is 16 miles on a treadmill. Never again will I do that.

    ReplyDelete