December 8, 2009

Three Legs Are Better Than Two

Good morning blog land! Welcome to Tuesday! I have already had a pretty great start to my day but before I get into all of that I want to show you what H and I made for dinner last night because it was super yummy. Months and months ago, I found a recipe over at Kath Eats Real Food for squash gratin and it totally intrigued me. I really liked the idea of squash as the main ingredient in a casserole but I wanted to figure out a way to make the dish a little more substantial and filling. I have made this recipe many times over the past six months and changed the ingredients over and over again but I think I finally came up with my favorite combination. This is my recipe for Oh My Gosh Squash Gratin but all of the credit for the original idea goes to Kath.

Oh My Gosh Squash Gratin

To start things off, roast thinly sliced squash and zucchini in a 400 degree oven until slightly brown and tender.

While the squash is roasting, crumble a block of tofu into a large mixing bowl and add 1/8 cup of lemon juice, 2 tsp. agave, 2/3 cup of mozzarella cheese and garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste. Mix well and set aside.



Once the squash has finished roasting, spray a baking dish lightly with non stick spray and then place a layer of squash in the bottom of the dish.


Place half of the tofu mixture on top of the squash and then repeat the layering steps until you have used all of the squash and tofu mixture.


Next, slice a tomato into thin slices and lay them along the top of the dish. Then, top the tomatoes with a 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and a 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.


Place the dish in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until everything is ooey gooey and yummy looking.

Serve alongside your favorite veggie and enjoy.


I know that this meal is definitely better suited for the summer time when there is a ton of fresh squash and tomatoes are at their peak but every once in awhile, it is nice to have a meal that takes you back to memories of a warm summer day.

Now, let me tell you guys about my great workout this morning. I woke up pretty early and rushed to the gym for some speed work. I am not technically training for anything right now but I love to do speed work and today my legs felt the need for speed! I did 8.50 miles of intervals that included 6 x 800 meters and 4 x 400 meters plus a warm up and cool down and lots of recovery jogging. My legs felt great this morning and I really enjoyed every moment of this run. I wish I would have had more time to run but at 6:00 I had to rush off to Boot Camp. I am really glad I took the time to go to Boot Camp this morning because we had such a fun class. Our instructor really mixed things up this morning and we did a few crazy exercises. At one point, I was being pulled around the room on a huge blanket which wasn't that much of a workout for me but it was SUPER fun. You would be surprised at how fast a blanket can go! Anyway, we did a lot of fun relay style races, plyometrics and circuit training and the hour flew by. The best part of the morning though was when we paired up to do three legged races with exercise bands. I paired up with Mel and once we had secured our exercise band the race was on. I am happy to say that Mel and I DOMINATED the three legged race. Honestly, we were finished with the entire race before most people had made it to the turn around point. It felt so natural to run with our legs connected and I think the reason we did so well is because we train together. I am so used to matching my pace and stride to Mel's that it was a completely natural feeling to have her leg tied to my own. Isn't that weird!? Who would have thought that all of the years of long runs together would pay off in a random three legged race at Boot Camp? Needless to say, my workout was really fun and super energizing this morning and I loved every moment of it.

Alright folks, I really need to get some work done because my bills are not going to pay themselves...although, wouldn't that be so nice? I hope you all have a wonderful fun filled Tuesday that is filled with smiles. Later!

8 comments:

  1. I'm tired just reading your workout. I really don't know where you get the energy. You rock girl!

    Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...that recipe looks good and I agree it is probably perfect for summer!
    Love reading about your workouts...thanks for the inspiration!
    Courtney
    Adventures in Tri-ing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great recipe and glad you are having fun and feeling energized. Life is too short to be a grumpy. PB

    ReplyDelete
  4. three legged runs are sooooooooooo fun!! totally reminds me of camp or something!!

    and yes, Annie's dressing is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. I miss it and normally any other dressing will just KILL a salad for me now.

    awesome squash dish!! looks delish! (oo that rhymed!)

    take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kath has so many great ideas, doesn't she? Your version of the gratin sounds great. Another fabulous workout. When you figure out how to get your bills to pay themselves- let me know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great - now you have me lusting after your meal - and SUMMERTIME! :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. The squash looks so yummy! I love how you used yellow and green squash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i had a blast with you in Boot Camp. You are definately the best three legged race partner ever :)

    ReplyDelete