September 13, 2010

Family Dinners Are Where Its At

Saturday was a super busy day for me but it ended in the most wonderful way. I started my day bright and early at 3:30 which was way too early for my tired bones! I taught Boot Camp on Friday night and had an absolute blast at class but by the time I finished teaching and cleaned up the equipment it was getting late. Right after class, I had to make a grocery run because my poor little refrigerator was looking pathetic and empty. Anyway, to make a very long story a little bit shorter, it was very late by the time I fell into bed on Friday night and when my alarm went off on Saturday morning, I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. I had no choice but to get up though so I pulled my butt out of bed, had a quick breakfast and set out on a long run. I did 18 miles of really tough, boring and pathetic running through my neighborhood. My legs and really my whole body were absolutely exhausted but I was determined to get this long run finished. As soon as I finished running, I took a quick shower and rushed off to work. After spending all day at work, I ran a couple of quick errands, did some laundry, changed clothes and then the good part of my day finally started!
Shane (my fabulous brother), Mel and Billy (my sister and brother-in-law) all met me for dinner at a local Mediterranean restaurant called CousCous. We enjoyed a fabulous meal of Greek salads, hummus, kebabs, pitas, couscous, tea and much more. The food was all very good but the best part of the evening was spending time with people I love. The conversation mixed with laughter and shared memories. The smiles on our faces were genuine and stayed in place with no effort. It was an absolutely wonderful evening and one that I hope to repeat time and time again.



The above picture is of a dish that Mel and Billy ordered called saganaki. It was a combination of sliced apples and sheep cheese that was set on fire right as it was brought to the table. I was absolutely fascinated by the presentation of the dish. Who thinks of these types of things? I didn't try the saganaki because I am not really a cheese person but everyone else at the table seemed to enjoy it. Apparently setting cheese on fire makes it taste better! Who knew?

I am already trying to set the wheels in motion for our next family dinner. I am truly blessed!

3 comments:

  1. ha, i didn't notice your new blog name because i have been reading your posts in google reader. love it! cute header, too. your family seems like a lot of fun and that restaurant looks great. XO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fabulous dinner and love family time :) i appreciate it so much more than i did when i was growing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time!!! And Mediterranean food, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete