September 14, 2010

I Heart Running


"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?"
                                                                         Peter Maher

I am happy to report that I was strong today! Ten mile tempo run in 70 minutes...I owned that sucker! Well, maybe I didn't quite own it but I gave it my all and I finished it with a smile on my face. Plus, the smile stayed there through the following hour of Boot Camp so I think that should count for something! The quote above is one that I remind myself of every single day. This morning I wrote the quote on a bright post it note and stuck it on the treadmill while I was running. Every time I felt like quitting, I would glance at the note and push myself to be strong today. Mental reminders like this are key for me when I am running. They motivate me to push harder and not give up. I want to be proud of my running ability and I want to make sure that I am giving my all...even when no one is looking! I just really love to run...I mean for real! Love it!

On Sunday morning, I woke up to a dreary, rainy cold morning. I promised myself all week that I would take Sunday off from running and let my legs rest a bit. However, around 8:00 I got a text from Mel and Billy asking if I wanted to get in a few miles with them. Well, I decided that I just can't turn down my favorite running buddies when they ask me to come and run! So, I quickly threw on some running clothes, grabbed my water bottle and met them for a quick 8ish mile run by the river. The rain let up after about 20 minutes or so and we had a great time laughing and chatting through the miles. I have decided that I will no longer promise my legs a day of rest...in my opinion, a fun morning with great friends completely trumps a day off from running.

1 comment:

  1. always better with friends :) but rest is important, too!

    ReplyDelete