September 9, 2010

Sleepy Sisters

This morning I met my absolute favorite running partner (Mel) for a hill workout. Our plan this morning was a 2 mile warm up, 6 repeats of an intense 1/2 mile hill and then a 2 mile cool down. I arrived at the gym super early to squeeze in a weight workout and also did a quick 2 mile run to loosen up my legs. My poor little legs are so tired. I have been pushing them really hard and they can totally feel it. When Mel arrived at 5:15, we quickly grabbed our water bottles and set out in the dark, chilly morning air to get our workout finished. We both just wanted to get our miles and be done with it. During our warm up jog, we calculated that between the two of us we had a combined total of about 6 1/2 hours of sleep. Yes...that's right folks, Mel and I both decided to do intense hill training on about 3 hours of sleep a piece. Not the brightest idea but we both wanted to make sure we got our workout in. Personally, I also really wanted to see Mel and spend some time hanging out with her. We have both been so busy lately and I don't get to see her nearly enough. Anyway, as we made our way through our warm up miles, we spent some time chit chatting and at one point we both ran right next to a HUGE snake that was just hanging out in the middle of the road. Now, Mel and I are both absolutely terrified of snakes. I am so scared of them that I often skip the reptile exhibits at zoos and museums and anywhere else they happen to be. I hate snakes! However, this morning neither one of us even reacted to the fact that there was a snake in the road. I think we were both just so exhausted that we didn't even have the energy to scream. You know you are ridiculously tired when you you can't even be afraid! Anyway, we managed to make it through our workout and then spent ten minutes walking around outside just gossiping and giggling and enjoying some sister time together while the sun came up. Sometimes workouts are just an excuse to spend time with people you love and I am totally okay with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment