April 26, 2011

April Recipe Challenge - Eggs (Mel)

Not sure what to do with all the leftover Easter eggs? Try this simple and exotic take on the classic egg salad recipe. It literally took about 20 minutes and for me that is the key to a great recipe!

Indian Curry Egg Salad
Step 1: Prepare your hard boiled eggs. (If not already on hand)

I followed the “perfect hard boiled egg method” that I found online, and found that it worked very well. Here’s what you do…
Fill a pot of water so that the eggs have are covered with about 1/2 an inch of water. Bring the eggs to a gentle boil then turn off the heat and cover for exactly seven minutes. Once they have sat for seven minutes quickly transfer the eggs to an ice bath. (I used a glass bowl filled half with water and half with ice)

While the eggs chilled in their ice bath I began to work on the “dressing”.

I combined:
3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
2 ½ teaspoons curry powder
And two generous pinches of sea salt

Mix together and set aside.

Then I got out the rest of the ingredients and began to chop.

I combined:
¼ cup diced pecans
1 small bunch chives
Half of a small onion (choose your favorite variety...I used Vidalia)
Half of an apple (again choose your favorite variety...I used Gala which is what I had on hand)

Chop all ingredients and mix lightly to combine

By this point the eggs should be chilled and ready to come out of their ice bath. Peel the eggs and place them  in a large bowl with the chopped ingredients and the dressing.
Mash the eggs with a fork but don’t overdo it so that you leave some texture. Mix to combine all ingredients. If the salad looks dry add a bit more yogurt and curry to moisten to personal taste. Cover and chill. Serves 3-4 and tastes great on pita!

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment