April 28, 2011

April Recipe Challenge - Eggs (Stacy)

(Let me apologize in advance for the horrible pictures. Trust me when I say that this recipe tastes a million times better than the pictures make it look...promise!)
Over the weekend, I completed my Egg Recipe for the April Recipe Challenge. I knew from the beginning that I was going to make an egg dessert but I honestly had no idea what to make. On a beautiful evening last week, I came home from work, changed into workout clothes and went out on a brainstorming walk. I always do my best thinking on a long walk or run and this night was no exception. After 5 miles of walking, thinking, debating and thinking some more, I knew that I had my recipe. So without further adeui, here it is:

Samoa Pie
(creamy, rich chocolate pie with a macaroon topping)
1 Prepared Graham Cracker Crust
1 Box Silken Tofu
2 RIPE Peeled Avocados
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup (or Agave)
3 Squares Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
1 Cup Coconut Milk
6 Egg Whites
2 Cups Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1 Tsp Almond Extract
1/2 Cup Honey

First we need to make some chocolate mousse/pudding type of stuff. Place the tofu, avocados and maple syrup into your food processor and blend together until smooth and creamy. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan on low heat, combine the Baker's chocolate and 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. Allow the chocolate to melt, stirring frequently. Once the chocolate is completely melted, slowly pour into the tofu and avocado mixture in the food processor and process again until all of the chocolate is incorporated. Add the additional coconut milk as needed to reach your desired consisitency. You may also need to add additional maple syrup depending on your preference. Once the pudding mixture is smooth and creamy, slowly pour it into your prepared graham cracker crust and place in the refrigerator to cool.

Now we can move on to our macaroon topping. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Once the eggs are all whipped up, slowly fold in the coconut, almond extract and honey. Spread the macaroon topping, in a very thin layer, onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove the macaroon topping from the oven and allow to cool.

Once the macaroon topping has cooled, break it into pieces and sprinkle liberally over the top of your pudding mixture. Place the pie back in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes to set and then serve with freshly whipped cream and coffee. Mmmmm!!

Who knew that eggs could be so decadent?!

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, samoas used to be my favorite!! this is so creative, love it stacy :)

    ReplyDelete