April 15, 2011

The Chronicles of Coffee Club (Stacy)

Happy Friday! As many of you know, Mel, Amy and I meet every Friday morning for a little thing we like to call Coffee Club. This weekly meeting has been going on for over five years now and is honestly one of my absolute favorite times of the week. The three of us have made it a priority to set aside this time just to work on our sister friend relationships and it has been one of the absolute best decisions we have ever made. We laugh, we chat, we gossip, we sip on coffee, we eat delicious things, we have been known to cry and we just enjoy our time together. I can't give away any of our Coffee Club secrets because all of the members have been sworn to complete secrecy...sort of like the whole Fight Club thing but much, much cooler! However, I can share a few pictures and a recipe that makes it perfectly okay to have chocolate for breakfast.

This week it was my turn to bring breakfast to Coffee Club. We operate on a rotating schedule and have complete freedom to bring anything we want on our particular week. I always look forward to my week because I absolutely love to feed people. It is some weird obsession of mine! In fact, sometimes I steal Amy or Mel's week...but shhh...don't tell! (I am only able to steal their weeks because they both have WAY too much going on and I can pretty easily convince them to let me take over their week if I come up with the right excuse.) Anyway, breakfast this morning was a great little twist on a breakfast cookie recipe of mine. It is super simple and filled with great ingredients to start the day off right.

Cocoa Nutty Pecan Breakfast Cookies
1 cup oats
1/3 cup spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup honey, agave or maple syrup (pick your favorite)
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup chocolate or carob chips (optional)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Place the cookie dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. I usually make the cookies about the size of a golf ball but anything goes. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes...and that is it! Super easy and totally delicious!

Mel was kind enough to be our cookie eating model this morning!
We enjoyed our cookies with copious amounts of coffee and some really delicious and juicy oranges. Breakfast of champions...or at least, the breakfast of three adorable sister friends!
I am already counting down the days until next Friday morning!

1 comment:

  1. I am over here cracking up so early in the morning. Fight Club but cooler/coming up with the right excuse to take over bringing breakfast. Funny stuff chic! Thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete