April 22, 2011

Feeding A Finicky Family In A Flash #3 (Amy)

Making delicious Mexican food in a flash has always seemed to be nearly impossible to me  but I have found a way to make a delicious quick Mexican meal that is filled with healthy stuff!

Start by placing boneless skinless chicken breast tenders along with sliced peppers, onions, about a 1/4 of chicken broth and fajita seasoning into your crock pot. (I like to use the frozen bags of mixed peppers and onions because they have already been washed and cut which means less prep work for me.) Turn your crock pot on the lowest setting and allow the chicken to slowly cook for the day.

About 20 minutes before I am ready to eat, I make some brown rice or quinoa according to the package instructions. Both of these grains have quick cooking options available which even include 90 second microwaveable packets. While my grains are cooking, I also heat up some corn and a can of black beans.

Next I quickly chop up a few tomatoes and avocado, wash and shred fresh lettuce or spinach and prepare my assembly line. At this point, getting dinner on the table is all a matter of layering my ingredients. Here is how the layering usually goes down:

1. rice or quinoa
2. chicken and peppers
3. corn and beans
4. shredded cheese
5. lettuce, spinach, avocado and tomato
6. greek yogurt or sour cream
7. salsa


Of course you can layer it however you like and you can use any combination of ingredients that strike your fancy. This meal is SO delicious, relatively inexpensive, quick, easy and healthy!  It's a winner!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Can't wait for cinco de mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!!!...it looks great.
    JSV in PB

    ReplyDelete