April 14, 2011

Feeding A Finicky Family In A Flash

Eating healthy can be a challenge! Even when everyone is on board with healthy eating and you magically have time to prep healthy meals & snacks, it can still be quite the project. I am not sure that a life with plenty of time to cook and a family who loves healthy food does exist but if it does it has completely escaped me! I think it may be a myth...like unicorns and Big Foot!

As a mom, wife, fitness instructor, sister, blogger, friend and so much more, I am crazy insane busy 23 hours out of the day...or at least that is how it feels!! I often find myself crawling into bed thinking, "hurry up and sleep you have a lot to do"! On a typical night, I don't get home from work  until 8 or 8:30. At that time of night, with two tired and hungry girls in tow, I am completely exhausted and want a hot shower, my sweat pants and a comfortable bed! Trying to pull together dinner at that point is definitely not something I want to do! It would be so very easy to grab a precooked meal, take out or even fast food! (which is definitely something that my junk food loving husband would LOVE!). However, there is no way that my budget could handle that constant expense and it seems silly to make my body suffer through less than stellar food choices.

Another struggle that I am sure many of us face, is the constant challenge of getting our kids and spouses (in my case both) to eat healthy. I am in NO way, shape or form claiming that I have this figured out! Life is a constant cycle of learning and I have found a few tips and tricks that work well for me. So in this ongoing series, Feeding A Finicky Family In A Flash , I am going to share the triumphs (and failures?) of helping  my family to eat well.

Last night I will claim as a HUGE triumph!!! I was working at the gym until about 8:00 pm and finally made it home just before 8:30 pm. Knowing that it was going to be a late night, I prepared some chicken and cooked it slowly in the oven while I was at the gym. The chicken was very simple to prepare. All I did is thaw the chicken, sprinkle a few spices on top, cover it up with aluminum foil and put it in the oven at 275 degrees. I started cooking the chicken around 4:00 pm as I was packing things up to head out the door. After work,  I went straight to the kitchen and threw some carrots in the steamer. I also spread some fresh kale that had been tossed with olive oil and sea salt onto a baking sheet and placed it in the oven at 475 degrees. By this time, the chicken was done so I pulled it out of the oven while the kale cooked. Finally, I put some potatoes in the microwave for a quick bake and made my way to the shower. As soon as I finished showering, I started a bath for my girls and threw them in the tub. (not literally!) After a quick check on the food, I helped the girls finish up their bath and then sent them to their rooms to put on their pajamas. While they were getting dressed, I made quick work of prepping every one's plate and dinner was served! Within 15-20 minutes, dinner was ready to eat and we were all showered and changed into clean pajamas! (this excludes my husband, who happened to be sitting on the couch, in the exact same spot I had left him earlier that afternoon...but that is a topic for another post...sigh!)


Dinner was DELICIOUS and my girls actually asked for more Kale!!!

I am really happy that dinner was such a success but at the same time, I realize that tomorrow is another day and I have another dinner to figure out and another late night ahead of me! Fingers crossed for another successful night!

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this, Amy! I am going to try making the chicken and kale - but I'm always afraid of leaving oven on for hours when I'm not home, plus guess it won't work for me since I leave home at 8AM and won't return till 9pm...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seo - You can always use a crock pot. Just put your chicken in the crock pot with some veggies, spices and about a cup of chicken broth. Then turn the crock pot on low and you are all set. When you walk in your door at the end of the day, your whole house will smell like heaven and dinner will be ready in no time at all. I have also done this with bbq sauce instead of the chicken broth and it is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Seo Thanks! I second Stacy,the crock pot is really one of my best friends! And the bbq sauce over chicken is delicious! Plus when you slow cook it all day in the crock pot the chicken falls off the bone! SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have to say that the picture of Malia is awesome! Man, she is adorable!

    ReplyDelete