April 21, 2011

Food Rut (Stacy)

Lately it seems like I have been in a major food rut. I eat almost the exact same thing every single day with very little exception. The sad thing is that this rut has been going on for almost a year now. Honestly, my grocery list is almost identical every single week and I pack the exact same lunch every single day. I need to bust out of this rut for a few reasons:

1.) I am getting tired of all of the foods I have been eating and as a result I find myself skipping meals or just choosing to not eat.

2.) I am sure that my body is looking to receive nutrients from some of the foods that I haven't been eating. Variety is the spice of life, right?!?

3.) My energy levels are sooooooooooo low lately. Now, I can't blame this entirely on my food rut because I know that my crazy schedule, lack of sleep and tendency to over exercise are all contributing to my exhaustion issues. However, I am way too young to be feeling this tired all the time and I need to make a few changes.

This week at the grocery store, I picked up two new to me foods and I am excited to try them out and start experimenting a bit more with my diet. I bought a package of Black Bean Pasta which is exactly what it sounds like, pasta that is made with black beans. Clever, huh? It is very high in protein and looks delicious. I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet but I have a few ideas floating around in my head. The other new addition to my grocery basket was a can of skinless and boneless sardines. I have to admit that I am very scared to try the sardines but I have heard that they are SO good for you. I love tuna and salmon so maybe I will just pop open the can and pretend that I am eating one of those instead.

Have you ever been stuck in a food rut?

How did you do you break out of it?

Any suggestions for new foods I should try?

8 comments:

  1. i think it happens to the best of us! i try to eat what's in season, so that will inevitably make me change up what I eat. Definitely also try the buy foods you've never had before or thing you don't like when you were younger. also, perusing blogs helps spur ideas of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been inspired lately by looking at some recipes at cookusinteruptus.com Loads of healthy, whole food recipes that are quite different from any of the cookbooks I have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sardines, but it's an acquired taste since it's a lot more "fishy" than tuna or salmon. Did you watch the animated movie "chance of meatball?" There they say, "sardines are super gross!" LOL I've been known to eat them straight out of can grossing some peeps out myself, but for a sardine-novice, I recommend topping salad with it or eating w/ pasta or rice with some type of sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip Seo. I am definitely thinking that the sardines will be disguised in some sort of sauce! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been the same way Stacy....we should go grocery shopping together:)Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon - You just tell me when and where. We can go explore the grocery store together! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go to Fresh Market or Trader Joe's - you are sure to find healthy fare and some different things that may appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love going to the Natural Food store, or grocery store when I am feeling exhausted or stressed. I always tell myself I will get one new grain or product and will incorporate it into my meals in as many ways as possible. This makes it a fun adventure, and it amusing trying to make it savory/sweet etc. I have made everything from puddings with grains, to flatbreads, quiches, side dishes, soups, stuffing, stews, casseroles, cookies, cakes, bars, hot cereal, pancakes, crepes, savory dishes, muffins etc. Black bean pasta would be so fun to play with! From quiches,noodle kugel, casseroles, pasta omelets, pasta bakes and soups! Experimenting is a great way to get the nutrients your body is craving and begging for!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete