April 23, 2011

Healthy Easter Baskets (Mel)

Easter is upon us once again! I absolutely love this time of year! Spring is in full bloom with lush green trees and vibrant flowers reminding me that winter is officially over...and each year I find myself caught up once again in the Easter holiday. I begin to scour the aisles of the grocery store, gathering treats and preparing Easter baskets for loved ones. However, each year the majority of what I find lining the shelves are the usual Peeps, Cadbury Eggs, jelly beans, and giant chocolate bunnies. So how can you avoid the Easter sugar overload while still fulfilling your Easter Bunny duties? Here a few simple ideas…
Fruit!

Fruit is a nutritious treat that can easily be customized to fit the specifications of the recipient. The warm days of Spring usually bring a nice variety of fruits in season which makes the selection varied and delicious!

Protein Bars


There is a massive market for protein bars, and consequently numerous options. If you search through the ingredients it is easy to find a large variety that use natural and simple ingredients. They are a scrumptious treat that doesn’t involve sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Larabars and Perfect Foods Bars are just a couple of my favorites!

Nuts
(if allergies are not a problem) 
Packed with healthy fats, fiber and antioxidants nuts are a great addition to an Easter basket.

Finally, I always like to throw in something special for each specific person. This year I filled my husband’s Easter basket with his favorite beverage, Ginger Brew.
If you are a fan of ginger do yourself a favor and pick up some ginger beer. It is a non-alcoholic spicy version of ginger ale. I am not a fan of any type of soda, and even I like this!

These are just a few suggestions from this little Easter Bunny. Let your imagination run wild and be the healthy Easter Bunnies I know that you can be!

Happy Easter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment