April 27, 2011

Hello Beach Season! (Amy)

So let me tell you what craziness I have decided to tackle! One of the gyms I work for is holding a competition called the Beach Challenge. I am a team captain and need to find a way to motivate my team. I am not the type of person who will ask you to do something that I am not willing to do myself.  As a result, my challenge is to run the distance to the destination point of the prize within the next 6 weeks. Basically that means I need to log a total of 255 miles in the next 6 weeks!!! I did the math and if I run 5 miles a day, every day, for the next 6 weeks I can get there... or I can run 5 days a week and try to keep my miles at 8.50.

AHHHHHH I hate running!! No really, I HATE it. I always enjoy it for a short bit and there are usually little spurts in my run where I am loving it and feel fabulous but overall...UGH!  Nope, not a fan at all! I ALWAYS feel ridiculous because my siblings run like it is nothing. You have no idea how many times I have heard, "oh I am just going out for an easy 10 miler."  Ummm hello, there is no such thing as an easy 10 miler... at least not in my world!

Let me tell you a little story....about 10 years ago, my wonderful big sister and I decided to run the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in VA Beach. This was the first half marathon for both of us and I would like to believe we were WAY under trained for this race. Not to mention, the race is held over the Labor Day weekend which means it is HOT! We both completed the race but right around mile 10 or 11, I could no longer take it. I started bitching and moaning and (I am quite ashamed of this now) yelling at Stacy about what a horrible idea this was. I kept telling her that we were obviously crazy for paying to do such a thing! By the time I was done throwing my temper tantrum, Stacy told me to shut up and run because we were only half a mile from the finish line. True story...and somewhere there are embarrassing pictures to prove it!

I ran a lot to relieve stress while Steve was in Iraq and I reached a point where I was logging 10 miles a day while pushing a jogging stroller. However, I ran to the point where I messed up my knee which resulted in major knee surgery at 22. I haven't been able to enjoy running ever since.

So this challenge will be exactly that... a really big challenge for me! I am leaving the option open of using other cardio machines (i.e. elliptical, stepmill, etc.) just in case my knee starts to act up. However, I would really like to finish this challenge by running. I logged 5 miles today and I am feeling good so far. My plan is to run consistently throughout the rest of the week or else complete a really long run  at some point! I am crossing my shoe laces and hoping that I can make it there. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment