April 20, 2011

Mel’s Lazy Lasagna (Vegetarian)

I thought I should add to Amy’s delicious lazy lasagna post with my vegetarian version of this simple and tasty meal. Have no fear meat eaters, this version is delicious for you too! In fact, my husband who has a special place in his heart for bacon, BBQ, and seafood absolutely loves this vegetarian remix. Ok, so now that I have cleared that up, here is what you do…

- Start with a box of your favorite pasta. My favorite is whole wheat rotini, but any kind will do. Bake according to package instructions.


- While the pasta cooks, I usually work on getting the filling together. In lieu of cottage cheese, I make a tofu mixture that is both delicious and a great protein addition. I begin with a block of tofu. (I suggest Twin Oaks Tofu which is the absolute best tofu ever!)


- Cut the tofu into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Then add basil, garlic, oregano and any other spices that strike your fancy.


- Then add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.

- Mash all of the filling ingredients together until the tofu is the consistency of ricotta cheese and all of the spices are incorporated.

- Now the layering can begin! When layering, I usually take inventory of whatever happens to be in my pantry at the time and add whatever I see fit. Essentially, I layer noodles, pasta sauce, my tofu mixture and veggies (my favorite is spinach but many varieties of veggies have been used and approved in our house) into a casserole dish. The layering is completely up to you but make sure to finish with some sauce on top. Lacto-ovo vegetarians and meat eaters may want to add cheese into the mix but it is not essential to the recipe. Once your lazy lasagna is assembled in the casserole dish, cover the entire thing with foil and bake for about 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. In the last 15 minutes of baking, remove the foil and allow it to finish baking until heated through. Bon appétit!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great and reminds me of a dish I use to make in Tucson about 24 years ago...using tofu... I haven't made it in a very long time and need to give it a try... thank you for the inspiration. JSV- PB

    ReplyDelete